1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Puppy help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Nov 17, 2011.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm Facebook friends with about half of you, but I guess this goes to the other half. :D

I adopted a three-month-old lab/hound mix puppy yesterday. Super sweet little guy who loves to cuddle and is about the cutest thing ever.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/388465_10150936504750632_897745631_21390311_310576060_n.jpg

However, he is a nibbler. And by nibbler, I mean it's getting REALLY violent. I'm bleeding in at least three places. He has a rope toy, a nylabone and a Kong toy. Every time he starts, I put the rope toy in his mouth. It stopped working. I've put peanut butter on it, and he won't touch it.

I expect chewing. Hell, my couch is torn to shreds by my cats, so I don't care. But he only seems interested in chewing on MY FLESH.

So what kind of things can I do to stop him? Sharp "NO"s with a pop on the nose don't work (he just bites my hand). I keep trying to put toys in his mouth.

Help?

2. You need to be a bit more patient, IJAG. You got the puppy yesterday, and it's going to take more than a day to teach the puppy not to bite. When puppies play with one another, they bite, and sometimes they bite one another too hard as well. When it happens, it sounds like you're handling it the right way. Swat it on the nose, say no, and I would also leave the room (this way the puppy loses its playmate). If you're consistent, the puppy will learn.

3. imjustagirl

Yeah, Bristol, that's kind of where I am. But I can't really leave the room because my house is kind of all interconnected with no doors except the master. And he's never more than a foot away from me.

:D

And like I said, I don't expect him to stop biting. I just want him to stop biting ME. :)

And Creosote: he won't lie on his back. Plus, he's only 2.5 pounds. Not sure I can hold him down without hurting him. :(

4. doogie448

doogie448 Member

When our dog was a puppy and he would bite my wife would let out this really big dramatic scream to scare him. He stopped after a couple of days.

Of course he may pee on the floor from being scared.

5. imjustagirl

Oh, we've already crossed the "pee on the floor" thing off the ledger. We're well past that. :D

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You'd have to be careful, but he's right. Sometimes the firm no and tap on the nose aren't enough, but dogs instinctively understand asserting dominance. Gently, but firmly, putting him on his back and holding him there will get the message across with most dogs. Honestly, I like that better than the tap on the nose, which he seems to be taking as you playing with him.

One more thing. Do not give him toys or treats (like peanut butter) after he bites. That is like offering him a reward for the bad behavior. Even if he doesn't take the reward, it sends the wrong message.

7. imjustagirl

I can see that. I took it as teaching him what he SHOULD bite on, but I see your point. I'll try the "putting him on his back" thing next time. He's turned his attention to gnawing on my coffee table right now, so my feet are safe.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You could lather up in bitter apple or keep a squirt pistol filled with water.
    Every time he bites you give him a squirt in the face and give him a firm no.

9. imjustagirl

Yeah, the squirt bottle is my next step. I've just seen it not work on my parents' cat, so I had no interest in trying it. But in the interest in saving extremities, I might have to. :)

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oh, I understood the reason why you did it. It makes some sense. But he'll try chewing on anything that interests him on his own. All you need to do is teach him which things he cannot chew on, including you.

Never heard of a squirt bottle with dogs, but it can't hurt to try. I've always thought of that one as more of a cat thing. Dogs aren't nearly as uncomfortable with water as cats are.

11. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

I find that wearing a gimp suit cuts down on the pain level. Puppy teeth generally can't penetrate rubber.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Works great if you startle them with a stream on the grill.

Draft saved Draft deleted