1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NBA Labor Pains

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Oct 10, 2011.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I will never disrespect anyone about strikes and lockouts, simply because I lived through MLB 1994/1995 and saw the damage it caused the game. My biggest disappointment is for the tourist and secondary trade workers (the hotels, bars and restaurants).

It will be worth it, however, to see a Sportscenter devoid of NBA highlights. Now the network will have to cover hockey and devote more attention to offseason baseball and other stuff.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I say the values go down in the short term because of the destabilization of the league given the unsettled labor situation.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That only matters if someone is trying to sell. What does a rich NBA owner care of Forbes says his team is worth $350 million instead of $375 million?

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The worst thing about no NBA season?

The already over-the-top NFL draft buildup will now go to 11.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

There is no way a comparable league can ever form. Oh, there can be noise about it, sure. But then someone will say "WHY do the owners feel they can get so much of the NBA revenue share?" And someone intelligent will say "because they incur every single bit of the risk involved in making the NBA happen."

And potential investors will scatter.

They won't find 30 billionaires who legitimately will want to incur the risks in running a team, putting on 41 shows a year (plus home playoff games), hiring the arena workers, securing the arena, handling any potential legal challenges to players or franchises (for everything from uncomfortable seats to paternity to having one's car dinged in the parking lot), etc.

The idea of some kind of "new league" is absolute fantasy.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

the "risk" involved in running an NBA team. High comedy to be sure.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Okay, so just got information from someone involved in the negotiations to purchase an NBA franchise in the past couple of years and they say:

1. Owners are getting 100% of TV revenues, strike or not: and
    2. They felt strongly that there would not be a season in '11-12, or at most 50%.

So in that calculus, the owners have much more leverage than I said previously.

My prediction, players will get desperate and there will be a 50% season.

Marvin Miller >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Billy Hunter (you already knew that.)

8. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

The New York Nutknockers franchise in the Awesome Basketball Association would be my new favorite team if they existed, Starman.

9. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

I was thinking the same thing, however, they seem to be filling the time for NBA highlights with lockout news... 20 minutes of talking heads saying the same thing they've been saying for the last month. Plus another 15-20 minutes of Penn State.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Send me my check for $50 million and you can have the franchise. I think the 69th Regiment Armory is available for games.

11. Bernie51

Bernie51 New Member

Jason Whitlock nailed it today...or...whenever he filed this.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/NBA-lockout-blame-David-Stern-media-mouthpieces-not-players-Derek-Fisher-Billy-Hunter-for-decision-to-disclaim-union-111411

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Sorry, but Gary Davidson has the market cornered on making a quick buck on selling franchises for a league that won't last more than 10 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted