1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE 2* Sandusky Arrested Again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by linotype, Nov 5, 2011.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Re: Penn State AD charged with perjury -- *UPDATE* Paterno Fired

It was John Surma, Chairman & CEO of U.S. Steel Corporation. My guess (hope?) is that he had some good media training before he spoke. Lord knows that entire university could use a good lesson in crisis communications right now.

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Is he protected under some whistleblower statute? Don't know; just askin'.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I wouldn't think so. Whistle blower statutes usually protect people from being fired BECAUSE they reported something. He wouldn't be fired for that.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Don't you know members of that BOT are just sick about having to deal with all of this? I suspect, for all of them, this was to be a nice little sinecure, with a few modest perquisites and nothing of consequence in the way of responsibilities. I daresay NONE of them thought he/she would be involved in a dismissal of a president and, by extension, the dismissal of St. Joe.

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Lawyer for some of the victims say the BOT got it wrong.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/penn_state_board_of_trustees_g.html

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't know if he's had formal media training, but he certainly has a PR staff at his day job, and CEO types have a lot of experience with public speaking.

Surely he's been interviewed a ton of times. He's spoken to shareholders, investors/bankers, employees, etc.

They were very lucky to have him as their Vice Chairman last night.

And, let's be honest, except for a couple of educator/good government types, you get on that board by donating and raising a shit load of money for the school.

We're talking about loyal, successful alumni. The only football coach they've ever known was Joe Paterno.

Very glad they didn't go in the tank like some of the supporters here. They did the right thing.

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

No proof offered, but that doesn't make it baseless, not with everything that's come to light thus far. I think we may have to start separating disbelief from dismay because almost anything seems possible at this point.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The attorney is wrong.

He's giving an "of the top of his head" opinion. It means no more than anyone else's opinion.

The victims should be the primary concern here, but he doesn't get to dictate to the Board. That he's worried about this at all makes me think he's not the right attorney for those kids.

He needs to get his own priorities straight.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This line, from Schlabach's story this morning...

"His son, Scott Paterno, told the Philadelphia Inquirer on Wednesday that his father never even asked Sandusky -- his assistant coach for three decades and who was once considered his heir apparent -- about the incident."

That's the first I've heard that. I mean, I figured that's how it went. Just surprising for Paterno's kid to say it on the record.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, in Surna's defense, it's not like he was exactly pressed on this issue. He very well might've been able to explain this if he'd gotten some questions demanding it. But instead seemed like he was just getting questions from whiny sycophants wanting to know why oh why the BOT was being so unfair and mean to JoePa.

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I know in the grand scheme of things this is minor, but if the latest Sandusky rumors are true ... now the NCAA gets involved.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What's sad about Scott Paterno is he thinks he's helping and protecting his dad by claiming Joe never asked about "the incident." But it just makes the old man look worse. If he didn't ask because he didn't want to know, he actively participated in a cover up through willful ignorance based on self preservation. Someone smart needs to tell Scotty to leave the spin to people who realize there are bigger things in life than Nittnay Lions football.

Draft saved Draft deleted