1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Honestly, what are my chances of getting this job?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BB Bobcat, Oct 29, 2011.

1. NoOneYouKnow

NoOneYouKnow Member

I think the best thing you can say at the end of an interview is "Do you have any other questions for me" followed by "I hope to hear from you soon."

Just from that you should be able to tell where you stand -- especially after the minutes/hours/days you've spent in the hiring process.

Any of the other questions that have been suggested, to me, seem like you're putting it out there that you have reservations about your own qualifications.

2. Easy one. If I wasn't interested, I wouldn't be talking to you.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If only.

4. Guess I should have clarified that was an easy one for me to answer. I know there are people who do just try to get more money out of someone.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Interested doesn't mean I'd saying yes to an offer. I've never interviewed just to get an offer to take back to a current employer. There's a decent chance I'd make a move, but if you already have a job that doesn't suck the life out of you, a prospective employer needs to sell me on them just as much as I have to sell myself.

6. That's certainly true. I've been interested in jobs, met with the people and then pulled out of consideration because my feeling after the interview was that it wasn't the right move for me.

7. Moderator1

which is fine - that happens. Just don't jerk me around.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I just need you to say you offered $75,000/year.

9. Moderator1

Deal.
    Fly yourself in here, put yourself up, take us out to dinner and I'll say that.
    And when your boss says, "Damn, son, congrats - but I won't match ***"

Draft saved Draft deleted