1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 14, 2011.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, I'm sure there's more than one.
    But for now: Robbi Pickeral is leaving the Raleigh paper to go to ESPN.com

Not quite sure yet on the what for's, though I believe she'll still be in NC and still covering UNC to some degree.

I've known Robbi a while and think this is great for her. She's quite good. I'm very eager to see what ESPN has her doing. I remember a story she did years ago on a UNC QB whose name escapes me now (Durant?). Had started forever, even though they'd never been really good. Just what was his legacy? A routine story sure, but she did the extra work to make it more than that.

2. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Congrats to Robbi, for sure.

3. Robbi's very good...Is this working for the mothership or one of the team sites they're creating?

4. Simon

Simon Active Member

I think they're starting basketball sites like they did with football...

5. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

So...will Charlotte go outside to fill the position or promote and not fill behind? This is the signature beat at the N&O, very likely the most read sports beat in the state.

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

What kinda odds you wanna bet that Tysiac shifts into this beat ...

7. After all the layoffs and buyouts, isn't Raleigh running out of college writers now?

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The Strib is losing one to ESPN, too. They're gearing up more of their college sites and I expect - though I do NOT know - there will be a flood of these in coming days.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/131885353.html

9. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Is he staying on the Minnesota beat? Considering the Gophers aren't exactly a powerhouse in either major sport does this mean ESPN is looking for people to cover at least every BCS-conference school?

10. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Mike DiRocco is leaving the Jacksonville Gator beat to take a gig with the new ESPN UF focused site that apparently launches within a couple of weeks.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

ESPN is launching websites for a few select schools in the near future. Schools from the Big 12, SEC, ACC and Big Ten are up next.

12. mbaker

mbaker New Member

A guy I know helping seems to believe only SEC schools are on the immediate horizon.

Jake, I read a story in the SBJ a couple months ago they only want in the range of thirty sites.

Draft saved Draft deleted