1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atlanta J-C eliminates copy desk

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by micropolitan guy, Oct 27, 2011.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Yeah, I'm confused by that as well. That wasn't an option, as far as my West Palm peeps knew. It was one of the four sites becomes the hub. If it's true, great for West Palm.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I was told management at Dayton just signed a 3 or 4-year contract with the guild there so those jobs were protected. My friend says they knew it was coming down and that Dayton would be the place.

3. editor007

editor007 New Member

There is no contract with Guild in Dayton. The two copydesks weren't the plan, and weren't even rumored (that I heard) until this week. Deskers in PB will stay there, and the work will be split between the two in way as yet to be determined.

4. Anthony7

Anthony7 New Member

Editor 007 is basically correct. I first heard rumors about a two-desk plan about 4-6 weeks ago. And how the work breaks down has definitely not been worked out. All sorts of scenarios, based on sections, newspapers, etc. The process is supposed to be completed by Oct. 2012. Also, the wire desk for all the newspapers will be located in Atlanta.

It looks like that deskers in Palm Beach and Dayton are for the most part safe. Each location will likely add some positions, but not nearly as many as will be cut in Austin and Atlanta.

Contract with the Guild? Where'd that come from? Dayton Guild has worked without a contract for more than 23 years.

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

i've never understand the cost savings of consolidating editing/design of local sections. Someone has to design a local page and edit the articles. The pages can't be shared. And if they want people to be more productive -- doing other papers' work in off time -- that can be done remotely. For wire copy, that's another story.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

So wire copy would be handled in Atlanta while local copy, like Atlanta's, will be handled in Dayton?

Pass the aspirin.

7. Anthony7

Anthony7 New Member

Well, evidently Atlanta already has a "word desk" that is independent of the "copy desk." The idea is that the word desk gets the content in cleanly to the copy desk, which is focused more on layout and design and not focused on fact-checking every detail in the story. If a local fact is wrong, like a street name in Atlanta or something, that is a problem for the word desk, not the copy editor in West Palm or Dayton.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

9. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

This has the feel of trying to execute 4th-and-12, on the road, at night, at LSU, with a silent snap count.
    I can see a ton of false starts and missed assignments.
    Good news for WPB folks though.

10. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

A better analogy might be this could end up like the Cardinals trying to get somebody warmed up in the bullpen.

11. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Dayton has a big, refurbished building with a lot of space - that was just purchased.

Would have been interesting to see what would happen if DDN pulled its copy desk and sent it to Atlanta. The paper roasted NCR for moving its corporate headquarters to Atlanta a couple years ago.

12. Raiders

Raiders Guest

At this point I think Management is fucking with the night shift just for shits and giggles.

Draft saved Draft deleted