1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job posting: What the hell does this mean?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dr. Ted Nelson, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Dr. Ted Nelson

Dr. Ted Nelson New Member

This is in the qualifications field of a job posting for a director of social community position at a university. Maybe it's not a good sign that I don't quite understand what they're looking for here, but nonetheless, I come before SportsJournalists.com and its collective wisdom.
    What are they asking for?

"The successful candidate must provide a separate statement describing a history of working with or demonstrated commitment to addressing issues of race, gender, sexual orientation, disability and/or other issues of historic marginalization."

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

"Profiling is wrong."

3. Raiders

Raiders Guest

Are you asking about "historic marginalization"? I would take that to mean people who generally are pushed aside or ignored by most segments of society.

Homeless people, for example.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And newspaper employees.

5. Dr. Ted Nelson

Dr. Ted Nelson New Member

I guess I should clarify.
    Are they seriously asking applicants to write a "separate statement" that says, "I am not racist, nor do I laugh at handicapped people nor park in their spots." Or is there something deeper I'm missing?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Well, I'd say a little deeper than your quote, as you probably know. But yeah, looks like they want an essay about how you respect diversity and have been involved with it.

Enjoy.

7. That 1 Guy

That 1 Guy Member

I would say the bolded part is the important part.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The sentence in question needs to be translated into English first ...

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Assuming you've been in a management position before, I'd imagine the "right" answer would be that you've always made an effort, for example, to reach out to minority journalism groups with job vacancies, etc.

But I don't even know what "director of social community" means, let alone this nonsense, so take my advice with a grain of salt. :D

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

welcome to universities...get used to the red tape, meaningless assignments along with bigger paychecks and more job stability. Go for it if you can stomach it.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I'm working in a university relations department right now and that's about it. You have to write a bunch of gibberish, get it past a committee, don't piss off any professor or high-ranking administrator, and be part of initiatives that have nothing to do with your job.

For example, yesterday I had to draft two letters of sympathy for a former student who was killed after drinking and driving, and for a former dean who died. That letter gets passed up the chain to a couple of people before the university president gives his OK.

Last week, I had to battle with the athletic department over getting the right info for summer camp brochures. Coaches don't seem to understand that "same as last year" doesn't cut it when it comes time to list their records or achievements.

12. Kirill

Kirill Guest

I run into the same bullshit when applying for math job position. Of course it it stupid. But they know that we have to go through it to get a job.
    I wrote this statement:
    "During all my history of employment, I have been working with colleagues and friends of different race, gender, sexual orientation and disability. All of them were not only pleasant people but also great colleagues and collaborators. I do deeply respect people disregarding their race, gender, sexual orientation and disability."
    I hope it will be helpful.... Good luck!
    The level of bureaucratic insanity grows every year since the number of graduates loafers becoming more and more and they have to be something to do....

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted