1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Running video games (and consoles) thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Will Hernandez, Dec 20, 2006.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I have the x11s and they do the job and this is coming from someone who prefers a headset for gaming. I can hear everything I need to hear - footsteps, changing clips of rifles/pistols/etc - and then some. They also come with chat and game volume and the ability to mute. So much better than the stock headset/microphone for the 360.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I appreciate it. Those were the ones I was looking at tonight. Going to wait until BF3 comes out to get them, I think.

I also got accepted into the COD Elite Beta. I really should try it out.

3. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Yeah. I posted about it a few weeks ago. It's awesome, been playing it a lot. Most realistic hockey game I have ever played. Lots of battles in front of the net (so many point shots either never get through or go in the net cause the goalie is screened), the goalie is live and makes for some fun play around the net, the net comes off the moorings, goals are reviewed if they seem to be kicked in or touched illegally, hitting is more realistic (Marian Gaborik won't be able to slam Chara down on open ice), etc etc. The EASHL is still great too. I would definitely buy it; I chose NHL 12 over Madden (again). I'm happy with it.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Anyone tried the new NBA 2K game yet?

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Thanks for that ... going to pick it up at some point here. Just no sense in spending the money right now to have it sit on the coffee table unplayed. Still hooked on the college football game right now...

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I got NHL 12 as well (skipped out on NCAA 12 for the first time in 3-4 years).

The main reason I got it was for the NHL veterans (although the only one you can play at first is Jeremy Roenick).

In addition to what Nick mentioned, you can also check players into the bench and break the glass with a shot or check.

It was just on sale at Target/Best Buy for $44 about a week ago. Although I'm sure it won't be the last time it is on sale.

7. I was in the same situation as you a couple weeks ago. Started playing Black Ops more than Madden for a while and decided to upgrade my headset in preparation for MW3 too. Went to Best Buy and purchased a pair of X12s along with a DSS converter. From what I've read online in multiple forums the DSS converter makes a difference. It changes the sound from stereo to full DD surround sound.

I haven't used the headphones without the DSS converter so I couldn't tell you exactly what the difference has been. If you don't need the absolute newest headset I'd order from Best Buy a package deal they have with the X11s and the DSS converter together for $90.

I think it's great hearing every footstep and being able to tell exactly which direction and how close they are. Takes some getting used to at first, but after that it's fun to hear someone coming around a corner and knifing them before they have time to react.

8. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

It is SO satisfying checking players into the benches =) I also love the replay sequences in this game. You can review goals, shots, hits from every period without having to actually go into "instant replay" to view them. You also get multiple angles of whatever you want to look at.

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

OK, NBA Jam: On Fire Edition is definitely worth the $15 download. This game is great. I'm just playing the computer trying to unlock stuff, but I keep getting fired up. Danny Manning keeps whooping my ass, though. Greg Richmond, not so much.

Can't wait to unlock the Democrat and GOP teams. Bush vs. Clinton.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Thought this was funny:

Was playing through my first season as LSU on NCAA 12, and one of my top recruits was a five-star scrambling QB named ... Aaron Rodgers. Idiot eventually signed with Alabama instead of me, though, after I had been his top choice for several weeks.

11. mad dawg

mad dawg Member

I'm tired of looking through message boards and trying to read teenager talk. Does anyone on here know if there is a site where you can download a 2012 roster for Madden 11? I don't feel like spending the money for this year's game.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted