1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tips for CFB trip to Columbia, S.C.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

My college buddies and I will be making our annual College Football Trip next weekend (Oct. 8th) to Columbia for South Carolina-Kentucky. None of us have been to South Carolina for a game and would love to get some tips.

Some context: 1) There will be eight of us, all in our early 40s 2) We're staying at the Spring Hill Suites in The Vista, right off Gervais St. 3) It's an early kickoff, 12:21 ET

Any suggestions for places to eat/drink, particularly Friday night and Saturday late afternoon/evening, when we'll also want to watch other football games, especially (for me) LSU-Florida?

Tailgating tips? I think we are going to walk to the Colonial Center from our hotel and take a shuttle bus to the stadium from there, so we won't have cars or parking spots. Can we bring a cheap cooler on the bus and just have some pops in the Williams-Brice parking lot while soaking up the scene?

Any sights we should see?

Thanks in advance.

2. skiptomylou2

skiptomylou2 Member

I'd stick to restaurants and bars for eating and drinking. I don't want ot have to cook while I'm on vacay

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Take the shuttle. Parking around the stadium is OK getting in, but getting out can take forever, like well over an hour, if the game goes down to the wire.

4. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

Five Points is where it's at. I got punched in the face there once by a bouncer because a guy I was with grabbed a waitress' ass. Wish I would have done it since I took the punishment.

5. skiptomylou2

skiptomylou2 Member

Why didn't you do it?

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Skippy, if you wanna be funny, try being funny.

7. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

Bump.

Any advice, particularly on bars/restaurants? Good places to watch a game, such as Phillies/Cards Friday night and LSU/Florida on Saturday?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There's a place, I think it's a chain, called Gillian's that they have in Columbia... Nothing special, but probably a good place to see a game...

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Isn't there a neat piano bar in columbia? I ate at the blue marlin when I was there years ago. It was good. On parking, park early once you get on the fairgrounds unless you want to pay asb arm and a leg. Once you pass the stadium its going to be expensive and there is no turning around. Its one way in one way out on game day. I went to an incubus concert in the park in 2002 so didn't catch any bars our clubs.

10. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Village Idiot for pizza and Harper's for dinner/game watching

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Is the Bojangles still across the street from Williams-Brice? Best damn fried chicken I've ever had at a chain, and that includes -- with all apologies to Wright Thompson -- Popeye's.

But if you're prone to the drizzleshits, it's probably wise to skip it.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, be sure to leave for the game early. Williams-Brice Stadium is located at the far end of a fairgrounds complex, so all traffic flows in from the same direction. And if you've got parking in an assigned lot and you over-shoot it, you're pretty well screwed.

Draft saved Draft deleted