1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010/2011 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Yellfest

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

As much as it pains me to say this, Bon Jovi has to be in there.

I fear the induction speech will be Jon for 8 minutes, and the rest of the band for 90 seconds.

2. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

A couple more for your discussion;

Sting (The Police is in, but is he worthy of being in as a solo?)

Kansas

3. Kansas?
    No. Two hits and a violin don't make the cut in my humble opinion.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Dear Jann Wenner,

KISS my ass.

Again.

Regards,

CK

5. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Have to agree with you there. Public Enemy and N.W.A. changed music.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Yeah, absolutely. If you guys are saying The Cure's nomination paves the way for those 1980s synth bands, I can't disagree. There are two hip-hop acts in, and the Beastie Boys are again nominated.

It took them a decade to get Black freaking Sabbath in. Now Metallica's in. I suspect voters think they've done their bit for heavy metal.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Lukewarm on both of those, especially Kansas. I think Steve Miller has a better case.

If marginal inductees like Leonard Cohen and patti Smith can get in for their "influence", then you need to find room for truly influential acts like the Pixies, Replacements, Motorhead, KISS and (sigh) Rush.

8. Again, this has to happen:
    Deep Purple
    Iron Maiden
    Judas Priest
    Motorhead

And then we can talk KISS, Rush et al.

Deep Purple, I mean my God, how has this not happened yet? How?

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

And their current bass player locked up in the attic.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Deep Purple certainly ranks.

Sting solo? No.

Pete Townshend solo has a better case. Although I wouldn't vote for him either.

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Sting's solo career started fairly well and then plummeted into comedy. His love affair with the lute should pretty well kill any consideration.

Someone want to make the case for Judas Priest? Because I'm not seeing that one at all.

Total side note to all of this: I'm guessing Dave Grohl gets in as both a member of Nirvana and the Foo Fighters, and I figured that put him in pretty rare company. It doesn't. He would be the eighth person (I think) to be inducted as a member of two different hall of fame bands (solo acts not included).

12. Foo Fighters/Grohl are starting to get into that Bruce Springsteen category for me--as in, what's the big deal here?
    Foos are a solid rock band, but Grohl is such a raving egomaniac trying to be an everyman rock star that he just overshadows the music, which is run of the mill rock. my2centavos

Draft saved Draft deleted