1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox Sports cancels a show for airing a racist video

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Spartan Squad, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

So this guy attempts to do a version of Jay Walking where he wanted people who apparently didn't know anything about the PAC-12 to welcome Utah and Colorado.

http://www.dailycamera.com/cu-college-sports/ci_18839700

http://news.yahoo.com/fox-sports-cancels-show-video-mocks-asians-000806699.html

So was this laziness on someone's part or did they just not know that the "Me so solly" bit hasn't been funny in a long time? Probably good the show got the ax, but I feel like someone's head needed to roll a little higher up for not killing this segment when it was submitted.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/85856/

3. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Well shit. I didn't go back far enough, my bad.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

It's ok, you're new.
    Now get me a damn beer.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know, I don't think that video was racist. I don't think that reporter or his editor or whoever was involved dislikes Asian people.

I just think that there is a certain mindset that white people are "real Americans" and people who look different aren't real Americans so much.

6. Isn't this the definition of racism? A mindset about people who look different?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think it's the mindset of a whole lot of people who don't believe they are racist.

8. Well, yeah. Kind of. But there's been a movement lately that nothing can be 'racist,' short of actively, you know, wearing sheets and lynching people. Racism has been changed in the minds of many to something so unspeakable that they or anyone they know can't possibly be, you know, racist because they've never lynched anyone. Even if they are, you know, a little bit racist.

It's like being called racist is the worst thing you can call someone, therefore anyone who is anything short of a stereotypical bad-movie Southern-Bull sheriff couldn't possibly be racist. Which is ridiculous.

You know who I've found are the most offended at being called racist? Racists.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

true

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Here's your Damm Bier.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It's like my one college professor used to say: Prejudice is simply the recognition of patterns.

12. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

If this is on Saturday Night Live, we all laugh.

Draft saved Draft deleted