1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Chicago Tribune looking for agate editors

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Kellams, Aug 25, 2011.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You can make decent money on the agate desk. At a major-metro where I worked, the clerks ran a fairly significant bookmaking racket. Then the bosses caught wind of it (using all their interoffice messages as proof), and that was the end of those agate clerks.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My jaw is on the floor based on some of the people who have sent me PMs on Kellams. It's always funny when you find out some of the big names are lurking here...

Funny stuff...

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Still with the name-dropping, eh? ;)

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It is what it is... :D

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Why hire human beings? Let Roombas write MLB gamers, too.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

What color is the 'dead serious' font?

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It takes a unique talent to do Tribune agate.

You have to take a 1-0 no-hitter and a 16-15, 19-inning slugfest and magically make them . . . the same size. Because squaring off agate by putting the long box on top of the short one is too complicated and too journalistically correct.

8. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I see that the Tribune gave up the idea of having both a tab (for newsstand) and the traditional broadsheet. I guess they realized that designing the paper twice didn't make much sense considering that most of the Tribune papers are no longer edited at all.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

One has nothing to do with the other, Fran. Page designers love to hear that, even if you're making a tongue-in-cheek funny.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dude, give the man a break. He's a hustler, but he's sincere.

Draft saved Draft deleted