1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vinny Testaverde...another HOF argument

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Aug 26, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

and John Madden

2. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

I wouldn't vote for him but he will probably get some votes and he is clearly better than Collins or Testeverde.

Again 78-73 record, 3x Pro bowl, 184-108 TD-INT ratio. Deserves consideration. I don't think he makes it but he should get more support than the other two discussed in this thread.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

He does take a booger wiping in stride.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

My thinking re: Parcells is he would have become the first coach to win the Super Bowl with two teams. More impressively, he would have turned two of the worst franchises of the post-expansion era into playoff teams and Super Bowl winners, respectively, within two years of his arrival.

5. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

In fairness, Blanda played in an era which the DBs could be hands-y, especially as compared to the last decade (mostly post-Vinny).

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You really need to stop relying on stats as the sole basis of your point in football discussions. It isn't the same as baseball. It isn't close to being the same.

Mark Brunell. You are the first and last person in history to consider that one.

7. deviljets7

deviljets7 Member

I know one player can only do so much, but in the case of a quarterback, I don't know if I could ever give a HOF vote to a QB that never led his team to at least a Super Bowl appearance.

8. Traveling

Traveling Member

Pro Bowl invites mean absolute shit when it comes time for determining who gets into Canton. All-Pro selections, however, are huge.

9. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

Not even close. Many thought he was well on his way in the early 2000s. If someone thinks Testeverde deserves to be in I'm sure some think Brunell should be. As I said before I am not one of them but he is easily better than either Collins or Testeverde.

As for the stats, in determining if a person even deserves consideration for the HOF the first and most logical place to look is stats, including W-L which I listed above. If you think the stuff I listed is not good then what you use? Winning was already included. Only thing left is the eye ball test. Those are imperative to your individual opinion but in a debate they are annoying and not much use to cite because they are completely subjective to you.

Technically speaking he is a Super bowl winning QB ;D

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I would love for you to find one person other than yourself who thinks Brunell even merits discussion in the HOF discussion.

This really isn't worth doing, because Mark Brunell is basically the same as Matt Hasselbeck (who made three Pro Bowls, had a slightly better record, a worse TD-INT ratio and took a team to a Super Bowl), and nobody would even think of putting Matt Hasselbeck in Canton. But just to throw two names out there:

--Rich Gannon: league MVP, four Pro Bowls, Super Bowl appearance, 76-56 record, 180 TDs/104 INTs
    --Phil Simms: Super Bowl MVP, two Pro Bowls, 95-64 career record, 199 TDs/157 INTs

Neither of those players has much chance of making the Hall. And they are at least one level above Brunell.

Another way of putting it: Based on the criteria you put forth for Brunell, if Philip Rivers has two more 30-TD seasons and then just walks away, he's going to be in the HOF discussion, because he has made three Pro Bowls already and has a 55-25 record and 136/58 TD-INT.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Neil O'Donnell, anyone? :D

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Mark Brunell probably hasn't even had a daydream about entering the Hall. Next up? Vince Young. He has a winning record must be a first-ballot lock.

Draft saved Draft deleted