1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What if Michael Vick was white? - ESPN reaches for new lows...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

dmurph:

Posts like that represent everything I miss about a version of SportsJournalists.com I'm often told never existed.

Well done.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That articulates my feeling pretty well. It's dressed up by specifically addressing the Vick situation, but basically it says "nobody would be in the situation they are in if they didn't grow up the way they did." A whole lot of words for a basically duh concept.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If posts like that had been SOP during my time here, I'd be blind by now.

4. jaredk

jaredk Member

Isn't this another nature-or-nurture sociological argument that can never be answered satisfactorily because it's always some of each? It's not as if all white athletes from suburbia have been Bill Bradley. The troubled find trouble.

5. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

For whatever it's worth, I actually have heard a lot of people throwing that "what if he were white" thing around for the past couple years.

6. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

In the environment in which Vick was raised, does everyone participate in dogfighting? For those who may not, what is wrong with them? Did they somehow learn a different moral code while at summer camp one year? Maybe from a slow man while stuck at a bus stop for a really long time? What do you make of such cultural deviants?

7. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Rational Thoughts 1, Snarky B.S. Response 0

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Seriously, if Vick's culture is in play regarding what some believe to be justifiably moral actions, then how do you explain the moral code of those who grow up in the same environment and don't take part?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It may not be an irrational thought, but it's not a logical one. Not all children who grow up around phDs grow up to be academics. But you'd expect those who did to be more likely to be phDs than the Average Joe. Not all sons of coaches grow up to be coaches. But you'd expect those who were to be more likely to be coaches than the Average Joe, especially if they were in and around that environment all the time. Not all children of athletes grow up to be great athletes. But you'd expect those who grew up in that culture to be more likely to become athletes than the Average Joe.

10. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

So you expected Michael Vick to be a dog-killing criminal? Seems kinda racist.

11. JPsT

JPsT Member

I'm not sure if you're really backing the things you're writing, or if you're just trolling like someone suggested earlier.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I'm doing a lot of things, including waiting for an answer on what it is that makes people who grow up in a bad environment not do bad things. Are they an aberration? Why is their moral code different? Why doesn't the negative environment drive their actions?

Draft saved Draft deleted