1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What Does This Mean?!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 20, 2011.

1. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Pete: Good luck!

I know that now that I am in a hiring position (part-timers and stringers so far), I try to be as quick as I can, but I will admit that sometimes I look up and realize I should have made the contact already.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

That is totally fine, but the fact is, your motivations for salary negotiations are your own, and realistically none of the hiring manager's, nor the HR rep's, business. In this case, the less said, the better.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This.

The instability of the economy might have suits rethinking their hiring plans.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or Pete, it could possibly mean that the editor was about to call you back, looked at the time, said "Aw, fuck it, let's ruin Pete's weekend by leaving him hanging and then I'll call him Monday."

Or maybe, the editor just wanted to make a late afternoon tee time.

Either way ... good luck!!!!

5. beanpole

beanpole Member

I don't think it's a big deal. In my shop I make the hires, but before I pull the trigger I have to get my boss (who's has never met the candidate) to sign off. Then he has to get his boss to sign off, and he has to get HIS boss to sign off).

At the last company I was with. I had to get someone in Boston to sign off on my hires, who then had to get NY to do it so the finance people would know that we're going to be increasing our payroll dollars. Sometimes it gets some time for everyone to dance, particularly if someone decides to leave early on Friday to play golf or get laid.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I interviewed for a job last year and was held on a wire for seven weeks by this nonsense. I'd get an e-mail every two weeks saying they've just been really busy and hadn't had time to blah blah blah. By the time they e-mailed me to tell me that I didn't get the position I was actually happy because I kept thinking, "any group of assholes that takes this long to make a decision on a hire is a group of assholes I don't want to work for anyways."

Seven weeks is inhumane.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Pete could be dealing with an editor who has no idea on what he's doing. I had one editor call me at 11 p.m. for an interview that wasn't scheduled in advance. He wanted me to send me references right away.

8. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I got the job.

I'm very happy and excited. This is a terrific career move and it pays $10K more than I make now (yes, I did eventually negotiation for a few thousand more).

As always, thanks for the advice, encouragement and anecdotes.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Wait, you settled for THAT??

Just kidding. Congratulations, Pete!

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Great news, Inky.

11. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Congratulations, but ... you told the guy you were ecstatic with their offer, took the job, and THEN got thousands more? I hope that negotiator doesn't try to sell cars when his newspaper time is up. (Come to think of it, I suppose I hope he does sell cars, at least the one I'm trying to buy.)

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Congrats!!! Really happy for you, Pete.

Draft saved Draft deleted