1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo levels Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 17, 2011.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I agree the story probably is perhaps more interesting to industry people, but there probably are some readers thinking "How the hell did someone get all this?"

Still strange to see the Herald writing about the guy who mud-stomped its butt in its back yard.

2. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

The Herald only keeps looking worse. They got their ass handed to them and now they're exposing it even more.

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

Good idea to write about Charles Robinson. Poorly done. Without being homerish, they could have asked about the Vishnu Parasuraman blog. It's at Allabouttheu.wordpress.com. It points out really big holes in the Yahoo stories. They could have interviewed Parasuraman.
    They could have asked how you do 11 months of a big-time investigation into complicated stuff putting 100-some lives under a microscope and say you interviewed only 21 people. Be interesting to know what deal they made to get tape recordings of federal agents interviewing Shapiro. I got tired of reading about the "$1.6 million yacht." Thing's a boat. Herald could have asked how Shapiro spent "millions" on players. No accounting of any money that adds up to that.
    Herald looked amateurish again.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

LOL ... allabouttheu, yeah, let's go to the biggest sycophant in the entire U universe and ask "did you think that Yahoo story was bullshit or what?" No, that wouldn't make the Herald look worse at all.

5. jaredk

jaredk Member

Don't ask him that. Don't have to quote him even. But read him, follow his thinking, see if it makes sense. It did. Being a sycophant doesn't make him dumb. The guy made good points that the Herald could have used to question Yahoo's story.

6. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

not sure if serious?

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

St. Pete Times found a way to localize this and give some background on Shapiro. It's nothing splashy, but I thought it was interesting:

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/article1187892.ece

8. jaredk

jaredk Member

Sure, serious. For a harmless profile of a subject with a complicated story, you might talk to a dozen people. This was complicated and for sure not harmless.

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I lived in Miami for a while and played in a flag football league for a couple of years. According to one of my friends down there, this guy Shapiro played for the team a few years after I left town. My buddy said the guy was a really good player but was so intense that no one wanted to play with him.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Eight players suspended.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I saw one report that said as many as 13. most of them starters. Yikes.

12. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Miami Herald says 8, including starting QB Jacory Harris and star LB Sean Spence:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/25/2374409/university-of-miami-depth-chart.html

Draft saved Draft deleted