1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Vikings beat writer -- Minneapolis Star Tribune

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by MileHigh, Aug 15, 2011.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Still on company's website. They may have found someone from within to fill this, I would think a freeze wouldn't be in order.

2. I'll second that. Glen was nice enough to meet with me about 6 years ago when I was a real neophyte in this business. He spent about an hour with me to offer some writing critique, general pointers and share some potential story ideas. I'd never met him, but he agreed to help after a mutual friend made the request on my behalf.

Real stand up guy who, I suspect, would be great to work for...even if you have to deal with Sid. That said, there's no way I'm qualified for this job. Good luck to those that apply.

3. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Got my rejection letter today. Sounds like they are narrowing things down.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

To my memory, Judd was out front on most stories, even if he didn't get every scoop. Seifert is/was great. He's, in my mind, easily the best NFL division blogger at ESPN. Mark Craig and Chip Scoggins are both fine NFL reporters. Craig, in my opinion, is one of the best NFL columnists at any paper these days.

Basically, the STrib doesn't mess around on NFL coverage, even if it has holes in other areas. I'm interested to see whether they go with a web guy and refocus Scoggins on print or simply replace Judd.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I agree Seifert is the best of the NFL bloggers. Williamson might be second.

How many papers even still have a NFL columnist? Craig is outstanding. I'm not sure he's on the level of Bob McGinn or Rick Gosselin, but he's up there...

6. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

There were changes before Zulgad moved on:

Vikings beat writer Chip Scoggins will soon be named the Star Tribune's next sports columnist. Management isn't quite ready to announce the ascension, but it's happening, according to three sources with knowledge of the promotion.

None of the current columnists is losing a gig; Scoggins will write two to three columns a week plus do "enterprise" features for the section.

Current Strib NFL writer Mark Craig will do more Vikings stories with beat writer Judd Zulgad, though Craig will still do some league stuff.

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2011/07/20/30180/scoggins_to_become_new_star_tribune_sports_columnist

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I was not aware. Thanks. The change makes sense only if it doesn't reduce the Vikings coverage in any way. It adds some pressure to this hire.

8. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

I hear there's been a hire.

9. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

'Tis true. He's awesome - and I'd say that even if he'd hadn't reaped a bushel of APSE awards since he's been here.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well? Who is it?

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Starts late September from what I saw out on Twitter a couple of days ago.

I liked Zulgad's work at the Strib. Hope it all works out for him at Hubbard. Very talented guy.

12. I don't have a name (can someone let the cat out of the bag?), but I'm hearing he previously covered ACC hoops/athletics in North Carolina.

Draft saved Draft deleted