1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo levels Miami

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Aug 17, 2011.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Is ESPN waiting for the movie?
    The water's warm, fellas. Jump in at any time.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I haven't seen this anywhere between the two threads and if it is, I apologize for the d_b. But here's a nice background story on how Charles Robinson got the story and some inside baseball stuff germane the journalists.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/yahoo-sports-broke-univ-miami-college-football-story-161023453.html

3. jaredk

jaredk Member

Yep, sorry, nothing new, everybody "researches" everything and puts it to their own use. Maybe Shakespeare wrote the BCS stuff first or stole it from Bacon. Anyway, seemed odd they both decided reporters on scandals were were, in their words, "mall cops."

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I didn't see the WWL on that list of news organizations breaking stories. Shame.

5. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

"Initially suspended for two games and fined $250,000 by the university last March, Tressel’s final termination package released him from having to pay any of the fine. He also was allowed to keep his benefits package and was paid more than $54,000 of base salary for the month of June."

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ohiost-tresselspay

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Miami Herald talks with Charles Robinson.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/20/2370218/reporters-expose-on-miami-hurricanes.html

7. Mozilla

Mozilla Guest

What a scoop. A story about the guy who got the scoop.

Is that what it comes to now? You interview the guy who beat your ass down on this story?

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't give a shit who wrote it. That's a pretty good story.

9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

While greatly admiring his work, I must admit, I find some of this a bit odd, too. One, we ARE still supposedly competing with each other on this stuff, aren't we? (Preventative strike: Yes, I know Yahoo owns this, and nobody will be competing with it on them anytime soon, if ever; it's the principal of the thing. Why promote the competition? Can you imagine the New York Post writing a story about the Daily News reporter who beat their ass on something?)

And two, does a typical reader remotely give a shit? My feeling is no, that this is completely inside baseball and fine for a professional magazine, but not for the daily paper that, yes, got beat.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

"Up next on 'Inside Alabama Football with Coach Nick Saban,' special guest Gene Chizik breaks down Iron Bowl video to show how Auburn pulled off that incredible victory."

11. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

I think the appetite in Miami for the subject makes this worthwhile, albeit odd. Agree with SF_E that it was inside baseball, but people generally love the back story. It answered a lot of questions being asked about the validity of the reporting, how it came to be, how exhaustive the process was. It read like a cop solves crime story. I liked it.
    I'm just glad they didn't make SMD write it. That would have been punitive.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree. I think a lot of people reading this in the newspaper, i.e. old folks, had never heard of Robinson and thought of Yahoo! has a search engine, or not at all.

Draft saved Draft deleted