1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The U in trouble -- again

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MileHigh, Aug 16, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Goin to war costs serious cash.

2. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

If the NCAA didn't give USC football the death penalty for the Reggie Bush fiasco and it didn't give it to Alabama football in 2002, it's not going to give it to Miami football.

As we all know, the NCAA is a business, its proclamations aside. And its biggest sources of income come from its TV rightsholders, who get big ratings from Miami football (and other big name major conference football programs). Those rightholders would not react kindly to the NCAA costing them millions of dollars in advertising revenue to "make an example."

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Probably not, but for a program with major major repeat violations like this after the debacle that program was in the 1980s and 1990s and the fact it's been going on for nearly a decade right under the noses, if ever a program should get the death penalty, this is it.

4. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Charles Robinson was interviewed by Scott Van Pelt on Sportscenter a few hours ago, and even he's of the opinion that the NCAA won't bring the death penalty hammer on the U for this; basically, they don't have the stomach for it after SMU. Al Golden looked like someone who was just hit in the back of the head with a frying when he was interviewed at practice today.

5. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

FROM THE DESK OF CHARLES ROBINSON
    YAHOO! SPORTS SENIOR INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER

Aug. 16, 2011

Dear University of Miami,

Buh-bye.

Love,

Charles

6. Hambone

Hambone Member

Ah shit, Cleveland State.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Tip of the cap to my friends and former co-colleagues at 1HP for giving full credit for this story and prominently linking to the main Yahoo! story.
    Yup. And Dee already "defending" himself.

“I was the AD,’’ said Dee, former chair of the 10-member NCAA Committee on Infractions. “They’re going to talk to me.”

Dee defended the UM compliance program Tuesday afternoon, saying, “We did all the things we thought were appropriate. But the things you can control are the things you have your hands on — like grades, discipline on campus, financial aid. But when you get further out, when you get to a booster who has decided to do something inappropriate, you have less control, because they are out in the environment and we’re not there.”

Dee, a lawyer who still teaches at UM, described Shapiro as “a little aggressive as a donor, asking for extra things — a sideline pass for a ball game or things like that. Nothing extraordinary. He was sort of loud, sort of over the top. We asked people he grew up with, what he did and was he for real — a real businessman? The reports I got back were that he was.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/08/16/v-fullstory/2362352/report-miami-hurricanes-players.html

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Does the NCAA ever actually uncover rules violations of their own, or do they just wait until the media Wetzel and Robinson LLC shine their flashlight of truth that sends the cockroaches scurrying, and then they reluctantly impose some kind of ham-handed discipline until the public outrage cools and they can quietly but quickly return to free rounds of golf where they're being fellated by rally girls just off the 18th green?

I want a job as a NCAA compliance officer/investigator. I bet it pays a shit ton, you don't ever have to produce results until after Charles Robinson or George Dohrmann does all the heavy lifting.

9. btm

btm Member

So what's the forecast for punishment?
    Death Penalty (repeat offender and such egregious violations)? 10-year bowl ban? Massive scholarship loss? Slap on the wrist?

That picture of Donna Shalala looking at the 50k check (of people's swindled money) is priceless.

Excellent work, once more, by Robinson and Wetzel.

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

Five year bowl and TV ban.
    The NCAA won't slap anyone with the death penalty these days, but then they have no love for the 'Canes to begin with so it won't be probation

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Don't recall all the issues surrounding the Alabama case but the USC case is nothing like this.

At USC you had an agent not connected to the school giving financial assistance to the parents of one player.

At Miami you had a booster giving thousands of dollars of gifts to multiple players for nearly a decade.

One was a representative of the university the other one wasn't. The NCAA takes a dimmer view of the former.

12. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I've read and heard a lot recently -- in the wake of Ohio State, North Carolina and now Miami -- that the NCAA won't ever institute the death penalty again. Can someone explain why not? Was there something about what the death penalty did to SMU that makes the NCAA skittish about ever doing it again? I understand that SMU has never been the same (from a competitive standpoint), but why does the NCAA care about that? Knock one team down, and other teams will rise to take its place.

This seems to me like a case that's crying out for the death penalty. I'd like to see the NCAA impose it again. Doing it to a school that's been as successful as any over the last 25 to 30 years might actually deliver a message and lead to reform.

Draft saved Draft deleted