1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fresno State athletics, Fresno Bee

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ReyHeath, Jul 20, 2011.

1. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

This is a side-rant, but in the history of journalism has one's cover letter ever made their candidacy stick out more than their actual clips? They've always reminded me a bit of parsley.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If David Kindred will indulge me:
    http://sportsjournalism.org/sports-media-news/on-a-good-little-paper-and-the-lost-art-of-the-cover-letter/

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why would I spend 20 minutes on a cover letter and more time looking up an email address when the editor might just end up hiring someone they already know?

4. llcharlie

llcharlie Member

They've down-sized big-time the past few years in the sports department. New sports editor seems like a good guy.

5. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

Anyone heard any word on this one? With McClatchy's troubles and all, I'm wondering if they won't just shift bodies around and make do.

6. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I got a postcard the other day informing me that they had received my package and that they would be in touch if I met their requirements.

It was nice to get some sort of response, even if they have no interest in hiring me. But seriously, a postcard? That's a little bit weird. Wouldn't an email have worked just as well. I know postage isn't exactly a budget breaking item, but its on nice glossy card stock and everything. Seems like a silly expense given the current climate.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Definitely more personal than an e-mail you can bcc to everyone.

8. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I got one of those too. It'll go in the correspondence folder I keep with all the rejection letters and such I've accumulated. I thought it was pretty cool.

9. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

I agree that it was kinda neat and very personal. It was refreshing. It also struck me as a bit of odd expense in a newsroom that I imagine has slashed jobs in the past year.

10. the_lorax

the_lorax Member

More than once, I believe. At least more than once in the past two years. But honestly, to print — what? 200 at most — postcards and send them out? We're talking about maybe $250. Maybe. That's not even a trip to LA with lunch and dinner. Pretty small beans compared to a job.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It appears this one's been filled. Robert Kuwada, who was covering baseball at the OC Register, was doing sidebars on the Boise State-Fresno game last weekend.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Congrats to him.

Draft saved Draft deleted