1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2011 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by schiezainc, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Isn't Foley an ambassador with the WWE now?

2. Like I said, Hand of McMahon......

3. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Predict-o-tron win. Not bad for your first attempt

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

If this all somehow leads to Cena-Punk III at Survivor Series at MSG in November, then all is well.

In the meantime, it looks an awful lot like Nash came in as a hired gun for Triple H to make sure the belt ended up on a "safe" corporate champion in Del Rio, all while Triple H could maintain innocence by playing dumb to the whole scheme.

A new evil corporate regime has been born.

5. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

I watched this SummerSlam -- my first PPV in well more than a decade, and probably closer to 15 years -- with some friends, some pizza and some beer. Well worth the $5 in cash and six-pack of local craft I dropped into the kitty, especially those last two matches. A few random thoughts:

-- What happened to good anthems at PPVs? No performer will ever top Ray Charles' rendition of "America the Beautiful" at WrestleMania 2 (
    ), but that was awful. If you're going to have an anthem, do it well.

-- Also, why a musical interlude? And why Cee-Lo Green in a church robe that looked more like a glittery Snuggie? Everything about that was wrong, from the quality of the performance, to the fact that he was dressed in a church robe and mimicking oral sex, to the fact, well, you know, PPVs don't really need official songs.

-- For a PPV with only a few set matches a couple of weeks ago, even the mid-card matches were pretty good -- but the last two were excellent. Orton and Christian delivered for almost a half-hour, and so did Punk and Cena. A couple of my friends were actually convinced that, even with their knowing the outcome, neither Punk nor Cena wanted to lose. (And the Savage elbow was a wonderful tribute from Punk, and yet another reason why he is the best today in the WWE. He recognizes those who came before.)

-- Even with a hunch that Del Rio was going to cash in after the match, it still sucked to actually see it. He plays his role well; I don't like him at all, and I doubt many people do.

-- I'm already excited to go the RAW show September 19 in Cleveland -- the night after the next PPV.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Del Rio is awesome. The way they had been treating him lately it seemed as if he'd be the first to cash in the MITB briefcase and lose. They put him on the back burner, so to speak, over the last couple of weeks leading up to SS. But the ending was a nice little surprise, even if it cost Punk the title.

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

-- Also, when the hell did they start with commercials between matches and backstage scenes? What's next? Commercial breaks in movies and DVDs?

-- Oh, and why not a few more backstage scenes? (Though it was nice to see Stephanie again. She'll never be this (http://img001.lazygirls.info/people/stephanie_mcmahon/stephanie_mcmahon_steph_ass_e84jGh7.sized.jpg) again, but hey, she's a mother of three now. She still looks pretty good.

-- And Kevin Nash. Out of nowhere. Nice twist. Who saw him coming?

8. Thanks for the invite. Just saw that topped the field. Funny, that before he left for Israel, my nephew brought up the subject of Kevin Nash and his future role with WWE. He's going to be shocked when he comes home this week.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I guess this means that Nash's run in Pro Wrestling Ohio is over....

10. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I believe Kevin Nash is the first person in wrestling history to work a Juggalo Championship Wrestling event and a major WWE pay-per-view in the same weekend.

I'm glad they finally pulled the trigger on Del Rio, since he's been earmarked to get the title at various points all year. I'm a little worried about Nash being involved. He was a great surprise and he still knows how to cut a promo -- he'll probably have at least one DVR-worthy exchange with Punk, possibly tonight. But insider talk is one of those things that can be an eye-opener when used sparingly and absolute death when used even a little bit more than that (TNA, late WCW). Punk has to be careful not to marginalize himself as "the indy guy who talks about backstage stuff". Nash's presence threatens to ramp that stuff up. Sooner rather than later, it will get old.

11. Tommy_Dreamer

There was a twitter exchange from X-Pac to Shawn Michaels three days ago that was pretty interesting.

Pac was apparently sitting with Scott (hall) and someone else and told HBK that Kev's on the way.

Now, how's that prophetic for you (All were apparently at the Juggalo event over the weekend.)

I'm not saying they're bringing in Pac or Hall (I hope not) but I thought it was funny that was Pac's last Twitter post and then Nash arrives back in a WWE ring.

Pretty interesting.

Oh and Punk and Cena's twitter accounts have been dormant since before the PPV. Usually they're more of the active twitter users.

12. Tommy_Dreamer

I'm stuck at work so I won't be on here much tonight.

BUT, I'm really pumped for RAW again tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.