1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Return

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 4, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He changed to Foley after he won the 14, after Yang knocked him down, and more importantly after the Nov. '09 disaster.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Which, given his history he may have done anyway.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was not criticizing changing per se. I was really criticizing the apparent result of the Foley changes. Its just ugly, especially contrasted with his Harmon swing. Sure he sprayed it around even in 2000 but he was hitting lasers the majority of the time, along with the hard to fathom putting.

I'm just saying you'd think even with changes he'd come out with something better than what we see now.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Wasn't a lot of the swing issues the fact that he was putting an extraordinary amount of pressure on his left knee? The same one that has been whittled on more than once?

I'm a big believer in not fixing something that wasn't broken, but while the swing wasn't broken, it was breaking Tiger Woods.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm not sure though that with everything that has happened to him, injury , mental what have you that he was going to have success with any swing. He can't putt anymore, and his short game has left him. Not sure how much of that is swing related.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

My middle brother is an avid amateur golfer. About 20 years ago, he was down to a 5-6 handicap. He was then injured in an automobile accident, hurt hisneck, hurt a knee. He had to completely replace his golf swing with a new, different one. It took him over five years, once he was healthy enough to play again, to get the handicap back down to single-digits. What Woods is trying to do is very hard. It would be very hard even if he wasn't obviously a mental wreck. It might be impossible, given the latter handicap.
    A golfer who's at war with his swing is going to let that screw up the rest of his game, too. You can't separate the pieces that easily.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

At times, he looked like he had no clue where the ball was going to go. I think that's one of the reasons Ian Baker-Finch quit: He was worried he was going to kill somebody because he had no idea where his shots would end up.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

So, I'll ask it again. Does anyone think he's on the verge of becoming Willie Mays on the Mets?

Could it get that bad? In the near future?

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The more likely scenario, to me, is that he walks away for an extended period, goes into seclusion. I've been thinking about that the past day or so. I could definitely see that, because being the weak figure has got to just tear him apart after years and years of success.

10. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Agreed.

He won a shit-ton of big tournaments by making ridiculous putts and being automatic on anything within 6-12 feet. All he had to do was get in position for a long birdie putt, and he almost always made it. He's now three-putting from that same spot on the green.

11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'm not willing to say that yet. He's still fairly young in golf but his knee is fairly old. Will be interesting to see what happens, no doubt.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I've always said his swing was too hard, too fast. He was trying to squeeze every yard he could and didn't need to.

Draft saved Draft deleted