1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tiger Woods Return

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

This goes all the way back to 97. He lapped the field at The Masters.....then overhauled his swing.

I've never understood it.

Jack Nicklaus had the same golf swing for the better part of 50 years.

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

My understanding is, it's not physically possible. One thing people don't talk about very much is how incredibly flexible he was. You can't stay that flexible forever.

The swing from '97 wasn't going to work long term. It relied too much on timing. Too many moving parts. He's said a number of times that he only dominated that week of the Masters because he had perfect timing/tempo that week and putted great.

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

He may not have been able to replicate that '97 swing but that 2000 swing? That was a thing of beauty. Why he chose to change that was befuddling. The Foley swing? U-G-L-Y.

For as great an athlete that Tiger was/is supposedly, you'd think he could come up with something other than that flat, spin-out swing he's got now. Something more athletic, like say even Stricker. Hell, look at Phil, he's 41 and his swing is still pretty (oh yeah, and he's with what's his name, coincidence?)

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: changing swing. Maybe it was the PEDs (that he didn't get from the doctor who gave PEDs to all of his other clients). This is always an underrated factor in discussing Tiger's decline, but the added bulk could have compromised his fluid and flexible swing of his early career. Or maybe not having those PEDs (that he never had in the first place even though his doctor treats all of his other clients that way) has just hurt his game that much.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I think it would be so cool right now if Feherty said something like, "You know, this is sort of like craning our necks to watch an auto crash. I'd just as soon we saw no more of Tiger today."

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Would either of them trade their careers with Tigers?

7. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

They're both much happier people at this point. Worked out in the long run.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

which has nothing to do with golf and their swings.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was just talking about their swings, not their lives.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and one of those mans swings and the changes he's made over the years has produced 14 majors. I think Woods should be given the benefit of the doubt when it comes to tinkering with his swing. His short game and mental toughness which were his biggest advantages are dreadful, he can't make a putt.

11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Wow, that was a duck hook there.

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Back to back doubles. Turn out the lights.

Draft saved Draft deleted