1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Grantland so far

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Disagree. I think the skepticism was right in the first paragraph:

"The computer mainframe in the basement of Scott Boras' battleship offices foretold none of this. It didn't see the injuries, it didn't see the waning confidence, it didn't see the fastball that has become a fastball in name only. It didn't see anything like this end. The computer saw only magic in Barry Zito's future, because the computer can do only math."

I think the story makes that point that there is more to evaluating a pitcher than just numbers. Boras reduces everything down to numbers which in some cases can lead to bad outcomes for the teams.

This paragraph to me is the key to the story:

"Barry Zito is a believer in totems. In those days, he had a replica of Reggie White's Green Bay Packers jersey draped over the back of his couch for inspiration. He had a shrine built to Sandy Koufax in his bedroom, near his own Cy Young Award from 2002. A portrait of Carlos Santana was on the wall nearby. And now there was this blue binder sitting on his kitchen counter.

That binder destroyed Barry Zito."

I think what Jones is saying is that once Zito's game was reduced to numbers, he was no longer the same pitcher.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Curses on Tom Bissell for his piece on iPad games, which led me to World of Goo. No one should spend this much time dealing with goo. Very distressing.

3. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

https://twitter.com/#!/Gruntland33

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Me too. Not sure why. Seems like everytime I click over there, it's filled with stories I don't really care about. So I don't click over there quite as much.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I agree that's what he's saying, but I think what he's not questioning is why the Giants or anyone else believed Boras' numbers. As a precursor to my argument, I should have said I'm very much a Baseball-Prospectus-reading stat nerd. But Jones acts like because Boras' slanted numbers suggested one thing, that the numbers were proven wrong and that this wasn't foreseeable. I disagree entirely.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

This.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Not sure why? Your third sentence says exactly why.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Simmons should hire Shannon Sharpe.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Terrible rip off of TonyHomo.com.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Awful.

12. jr/shotglass