1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

College writer position open in Jackson, Tenn.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by mvines, Aug 3, 2011.

1. mvines

mvines New Member

The Jackson Sun in Jackson, Tenn. is looking for a sportswriter to cover six area colleges, including NCAA Division I Tennessee-Martin (FCS football). One D-II school, one in transition to D-II, two NAIA schools and a JUCO are included.

Three of the schools play football, and UT Martin (Ohio Valley Conference) is pretty entertaining. Women's basketball is also a big deal at almost all of these schools. Three teams were NAIA top-10 and UTM played in the NCAA tournament this past season.

Jackson is about an hour east of Memphis and two hours west of Nashville.

Lots of good stories to dig up if you know where to look. The Sun is preferring one to two years of daily newspaper experience. Send materials to editor Steve Coffman at scoffman@jacksonsun.com

2. mvines

mvines New Member

FYI: It is a Gannett paper

3. mrbigles01

mrbigles01 Member

Also, this job has already been posted, with the full job description.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/85304/

4. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

I got some good stories if anyone wants 'em. But make it a PM. It's not Festivus.

5. UTgrad2011

UTgrad2011 New Member

Anyone who knows/heard anything on this job please let me know or PM me.

6. Sue

Sue New Member

Isn't Gannett a decent place to be?

7. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Sue

Sue New Member

Seriously. I know from experience that CNHI sucks. But Gannett actually has big-city papers to move up to and they seem to only promote from within the corporation. What is so bad other than cutting staff, which has happened pretty much across the board?

Draft saved Draft deleted