1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Jackson, TN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianM, Aug 3, 2011.

1. BrianM

BrianM Member

From JJobs.....

Company: The Jackson Sun
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: September 6, 2011
    Job ID: 1274621

Description:

The Jackson Sun, with a Sunday circulation of about 30,000, seeks a new member for its sports team, which won first place in sports writing in this year's Tennessee Press Association contest. The newspaper hits high school sports hard and brings in-depth coverage to a group of five four-year colleges in West Tennessee. Applicants must have a proven ability to bring enterprise reporting to the table along with daily beat coverage. One to two years experience at a daily newspaper is preferred, but will consider recent grads with strong internship work. Experience writing news for the Web and in the use of social media for audience development required. Send a cover letter explaining what you could bring to a newspaper that has won the General Excellence Award from the Tennessee Press Association the last two years; dominated its division in the last two state AP contests; and won more awards in the 2010 Best of Gannett contest than any other paper in its circulation range. Include a resume, references, and six clips that show the breadth of your reporting and writing abilities. Send to Steve Coffman, executive editor, at scoffman@jacksonsun.com or 245 W. Lafayette St., Jackson, Tenn., 38301. No phone calls, please.

2. spud

spud Member

Who really gives a shit about awards?

3. gregcrews

gregcrews Member

I'm not a big fan of the vibe this ad gives, with the whole, 'what makes you think you deserve to work for a newspaper as decorated as ours' thing at the end. In fact, very little is said about the job itself, it's mainly just letting you know that working there is just like working at the New York Times ... except that it's in Jackson, Tenn.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

You may not think so, but they really do help you get noticed. They really do help you get jobs.

Whether they mean little, or a lot, to you or whomever else knows you won them, awards are one of those things that, let's just say that it's just better to have them than not.

5. writingump

writingump Member

All I have on this place is the two times I've offered to string events for them, they have either rudely answered no or not bothered to answer at all.

6. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Better than actually covering something for them and not getting paid for it. Not that such a thing would ever happen.

7. CaymanGuy

CaymanGuy Member

Awards and honors are so random, who even knows the criteria let alone the competition.
    With so much downsizing and cost-cutting, lots of small- to medium-sized pubications won't even shell out the entry fees anymore.

8. UTgrad2011

UTgrad2011 New Member

I am interested in this position, so anyone with ideas please let me know.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You get to work with Brandon Shields too... that's a plus.

10. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Unless there are two Brandon Shields both working at Jackson papers, you've got the wrong paper. The Brandon Shields I know works at the Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss.

11. UTgrad2011

UTgrad2011 New Member

I just checked their web site, and Brandon Shields is listed as the sports editor with a few bylines too.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I have the right Brandon Shields...

Draft saved Draft deleted