1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use Tape Recorder...Yes or No

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by BNWriter, Aug 3, 2011.

?

I use a tape recorder or other recording device for interviews

1. Yes, sometimes

16 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. Yes, all the time

49 vote(s)
    61.3%
  3. Yes, tape recorder some; another mode others

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. No

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. Another device used (Specify)

9 vote(s)
    11.3%
  1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's exactly what I used to do.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Pretty much what I did as well (no longer writing, working on the desk) during pressers. I have an "index" button on Olympus W-100 and every time a new question came up, I would hit it and it would create a new play to FF to instantly. I could then just write down the number of the index, write a quote, comment or the question on a piece of paper and fly through interviews, especially one that went 30-40 minutes.

I know some tape recorders had counters that you could mark a spot about the same way, but you still had to FF through the tape.

I'm a big fan of digital recorders.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I do what Cosmo does. You that are on tape recorders still, do you just like the idea of fast-forwarding or rewinding for minutes at a time to find a quote? Do you want to buy my VCR?

4. Dan Hickling

Dan Hickling Member

Worked in the music industry for years ... back in the days of 8-tracks ... can't readily buy an 8-track player ... or record player ... point is, cassette recorders and the tapes will stop being made sooner than later ... digital is the only way to go .... archiving interviews is one big benefit to me, if only for my historical interest. ... I know it's not everybody's bag, but it is mine ... One of my most treasured sound files is with a 92 year old Charlie Wagner, who roomed as a Red Sox rookie with Ted Williams ... The recorder rolled for 37 minutes ... a month later, Charlie passed away, and those stories would have been lost (to me, at least) for good ....

5. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

I've been married to various Olympus digital recorders for quite some time, in large part because I went through microcassette recorders like crazy. They'd randomly conk out on me every six months or so. I've been using my current Olympus recorder for five years.

6. brandonsneed

brandonsneed Member

Holding out to get the new iPhone when it (supposedly) comes out in September. Works well as a recorder to, huh?

7. RobRVR

RobRVR New Member

I have an iPhone 4 and it works great as a recorder. The iPhone 5 should be just as good, maybe better. (As someone else pointed out, make sure you put it on Airplane mode)

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Micro-cassette recorder, and I have a box of tapes from years of interviews.

When I transcribe the interview I save it, print a copy and file it.

Old fashioned? Sure. But I like it that way, it works for me and that's what matters.

I have a pica stick on my desk, too. It's a great back-scratcher.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I do have digital, but I don't save the audio files.
    What i do is transcribe everything and save the interview as a document. I have everything I've done since the fall of 2007 on my laptop, except for six weeks from the fall of 2010 (when my laptop crapped the bed, for whatever reason that info wasn't recovered).
    I use my iPhone 4 but I'm terrified to try anything but the Audio Notes; I'm so damn picky, I need an app I'm super comfortable with that a 6-year old could use.

10. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

I have two digital recorders, but I've just been using my BlackBerry lately. Does the trick and is convenient.

11. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Olympus recorder. Always use it and archive. I probably should be better about working written notes into that. Had a tape recorder when I first started, but I just hated that thing.

I know a few people who just type while doing phone interviews, but I always feel like that takes from my ability to listen/think on my feet.

12. Cullen9

Cullen9 Member

I use a digital recorder. I typically transcribe my recording and then save the document onto my hard drive. I'm not at the stage yet where I'm backing up all my transcribed notes.

Digital, though, is the way to go. Convenience is the No. 1 benefit.

With that said, I think using a notepad to quote is going out of style -- and that's a problem. As a young journalist, I feel I rely on my recorder too much. I've purposely been leaving my recorder at the office lately when I'm at an (easier) assignment. I know I need to get better at short hand. More importantly, I need to get better at reading my short hand.

But that's a topic for another thread...

Draft saved Draft deleted