1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Parks and Recreation," much improved

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smasher_Sloan, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Ron in the desk turning around and Ron saying he's only cried twice. Brilliant.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It's perilous, I'm starting to think, for a sitcom to anchor itself in a workplace setting, because it can be stifling for plot and character development. "Friends" and "Seinfeld" are two that jump immediately to mind where you could grow the characters without fundamentally altering the dynamics of the cast, because the characters were friends and not co-workers thrown together by chance. Similar with most family-oriented sitcoms of the '80s like "Family Times" and "The Cosby Show," but even then you have to send kids to college, through puberty, etc., etc. Seems like the shows that are most able to maintain quality focus around adult friends outside of work. And even then you get things like a Frogger arcade machine rolling down 5th Avenue, or the abominable Rachel-Joey storyline.

I know it rubs people the wrong way here when I criticize "The Office," but it's a good example. Look at how many plotline gymnastics they've had to do to keep B.J. Novak in the cast. Or how frequently Jim and Pam get moved around from one position to another. They basically had to kill off Pam's art dream in about season four or five because it didn't comport with the show's needs going forward, which was to have her at a desk in the office.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

http://www.buzzfeed.com/toddvanluling/the-7-best-ron-swanson-gifts

http://www.nbc.com/parks-and-recreation/exclusives/the-ron-mosaic/

4. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

"I was born ready. I'm Ron F'cking Swanson."

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Does this mean you now like the show?

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I don't know if I "like" it. It's enjoyable, but I got through the first two seasons on Netflix and Hulu has now gone to a pay site, so no thanks.

So I won't see any more until they go back to Netflix with season 3.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

"I've already passed the kale salad I had for lunch" is clearly the new "stop pooping" for all time great Rob Lowe lines. The show is on an amazing run right now.

8. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Treat yo self !

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Madhavok, I was thinking of buying this six-foot long suit of chain mail, a small sword and a green Hobbit suit and running around the woods near my house pretending to Frodo while on my quest to Mordor but, it's a little expensive.

Any advice?

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I dunno I mean.. Treat yo self !

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

TREAT YO SELF!

12. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

WHY SO SERIOUS???

Draft saved Draft deleted