1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Favorite quickly cancelled television series

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by friend of the friendless, Jul 26, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When Fox started up they had a ton of shows that seemed be plucked from the other networks leftovers. I actually liked Beans Baxter.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Boy, do you get it. Dan_Oregon's sig reflects the high point of the irritatingly-derivitive Studio 60, and kudos to Sorkin, for that isolated delight . . . though any series which quotes Sondheim lyrics at appropriate points isn't entirely bad.

3. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

"Firefly" comes immediately to mind, though I didn't watch it when it was on -- I became a fan after it was released on DVD, though.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned already, but I remember being a big fan of "Gideon's Crossing." It only lasted half a season, but it had Andre Braugher in it, and I tend to think that anything he's in should go on for at least four seasons.

4. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

Buddy Faro - Dennis Farina as a private eye that disappeared in the 1970s and resurfaced in the 1990s. He has no knowledge of the two decades that passed. Hilarity ensues! Aired in 1998. Thirteen episodes were filmed though five were never aired.

As far as Saturday morning stuff...Earthworm Jim.

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

A Day in the Life (moving, like Family, with complex issues)
    Freeks and Geeks
    Class of '96 (kinda realistic portrayal of college dynamics)
    Buffalo Bill (that was one funny show)

damn, you guys got them all.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had forgotten about Class of '96. I rememeber a couple of storylines really hit home, being very close to things that happened to me in college. This was also just a couple of years after I graduated, so I guess I was right in the target audience.

7. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

Freaks and Geeks (at least Arrested Development got three years...)

8. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Anyone remember a surprisingly good sitcom called "Spencer?" Chad Lowe played a HS misfit and was actually pretty funny in the role. Aired a
    few episodes in the mid-80s and was cancelled. Probably for
    the same reason as Freaks and Geeks - people would rather watch a show that portrays those years as they like them to be, not how they are.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't find it on the Internets, but there was a comedy on briefly in the early 90s, on Fox, I think, that followed this one guy around. But when situations would arise, they would show what he was thinking with people in his head. There was a fat guy who just was concerned about food and sex, a woman who was the moral conscience, and a brainy intellectual guy.

10. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Party Down.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's it. I couldn't remember the name. I don't recall it being a horrible show. Nothing great, nothing horrible.

And it was on for three seasons, which surprises me. I thought it was maybe a one-season thing.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I remembered it as soon as I saw your description. I liked it. Wasn't anything special, but not bad. Lasted to long for the stated purpose of this thread, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted