1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The push for a new Islanders arena needs more cowbell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 20, 2011.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Big difference, Atlanta has never shown they can support a team and they've had 2 chances, Edmonton has. talk to players who have played there to get some perspective.

You fight for markets like Pittsburgh, Buffalo and Edmonton because you know hockey isn't just an afeterthought. Judging alone by ticket sales is ridiculous, how were Atlanta's TV numbers, radio numbers? I'll guarantee you Edmontons were just fine. They never lost interest in hickey in Edmonton, apart a SMALL hardcore fanbase there has never been interest. You can throw Miami into that mix as well

2. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Atlanta has also never had a team win anything, so there was no reason for a wider fan base to become invested in the team. And I don't mean win a Cup - I mean like.... get to the second round of the playoffs once ever 6-7 years. If you field a perpetual loser when you are an expansion franchise, no one will come after the new-and-shiny wears off.

And again, the Oilers came within hours of being moved to Houston. That doesn't sound "just fine" to me. To the credit of the NHL (for helping them stay there) and both ownership groups since, the problem has been rectified and it's now again one of the league's stronger markets. But to pretend the franchise has been completely healthy throughout its existence is glossing over a very significant chunk of it's history.

Any market, save maybe two (Montreal and Toronto), can become an Atlanta-like quagmire.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Attendance wise yes, but not interest wise. The two are not even remotely the same.

Edmonton leaving and I know how close they were had very little to do with the fans.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

At least if the Edmonton Oilers had moved to Houston, they could have kept their name and it wouldn't have looked stupid.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Not if Bud Adams had anything to say about it. He probably kept the rights to the name.

6. Freelance Hack

7. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

8. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The Rangers would rather have the Islanders in Uniondale than Brooklyn.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

Different sports - it shouldn't matter.

Why is exactly why the Islanders should move and become the Brooklyn Dodgers.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Really though, in the macho world of the NHL, do you really want to be known as a dodger in anything?

11. Freelance Hack

With 19% reporting, no votes are leading by a 3:2 margin. Heard turnout was low and there was some storms that may have kept people from voting in the afternoon.

12. Freelance Hack

Draft saved Draft deleted