1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Health Insurance Question (for freelancers)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Tmc411, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Tmc411

Tmc411 New Member

I'm a full time freelancer with a few contracts without benefits - have them through my wife. I was wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations on where to look for benefits, as she's thinking about leaving her job and going to school full-time in the fall.

Any good websites or companies to check out? Many thanks.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Move to Canada.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

ehealthinsurance.com is a good place to start.

Just make sure to look at the fine print: Deductibles, potential copays, coinsurance splits, etc. Merely buying the cheapest coverage doesn't mean much, though any coverage is better than none in terms of personal finance.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

You also may want to explore options through your local chamber of commerce. Often times all you need is a DBA from the county office or a post office box in town as proof that you are a businessman, thereby eligible to join their organization.

5. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

If you have any kind of pre-existing condition you're SOL until the Obama Healthcare plan kicks in.

6. What bagelchick said. But healthcare.gov is a good source of info explaining what is available now and when Obamacare kicks in.
    The government's Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan is supposed "to make health coverage available to you if you have been denied health insurance by private insurance companies because of a pre-existing condition."

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Try Freelancers Union: http://www.freelancersunion.org/. It's free to join and they offer group health insurance. I can't vouch for it at all, but I know it's available.

Draft saved Draft deleted