1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kids say the darndest things thanks to video editing

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Devin, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/01....c1_lnk3

WBBM-TV, the CBS affiliate in Chicago, has come under fire in recent days for broadcasting an interview with a four-year-old boy, and deliberately taking his quote out of context to completely pervert its meaning.

The story aired on June 30, as part of a package about overnight violence around the city.

It first describes the shooting death of 16-year-old Juan Batista, then reports on two other teens who were shot but not killed in the city's Park Manor neighborhood on the South Side.

"Kids on the street as young as four were there to see it all unfold, and had disturbing reactions," then-anchor Steve Bartelstein said, leading into video of an interview with the four-year-old boy.

When asked, "What are you going to do when you get older?" the boy responds: “I’m going to have me a gun!”

"That is very scary indeed," Bartelstein adds.

Only problem is, CBS edited out the rest of what the young child said.

According to video obtained by the Maynard Institute for Journalism Education, the full interview went like this:

Quote:
    Reporter: “Boy, you ain’t scared of nothing! Damn! When you get older are you going to stay away from all these guns?”

Boy: “No.”

Reporter: “No? What are you going to do when you get older?”

Boy: “I’m going to have me a gun!”

Reporter” “You are! Why do you want to do that?”

Boy: “I'm going to be the police!”

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Hates be hating. </crossthread>

3. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

This is a perfect example of why people don't trust the media. If this doesn't cross the ethical lines, what does?

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Only possible excuse for this is the writer heard the "have me a gun" soundbite, decided to use that and simply didn't listen to the rest of the tape. Hard to imagine you would hear that and not listen to the rest of what the kid had to say, but it's conceivable.

If the writer did hear the "police" part and simply chose not to use it, it's pretty inexcusable.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The kid later said that he also likes turtles.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Inexcusable on so many levels.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Worst part may be that the piece came from a freelancer working the overnight shift. If all that was submitted to WBBM was what aired, the news editor in charge ought to have asked if there was more, to put it in context. If more was submitted, then only that which aired was selected, a huge mistake.

8. Cubbiebum

Cubbiebum Member

could swear this was posted a couple days ago

9. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

It wasn't a writer, it was a TV reporter. He was there for the interview.

Even if there was nothing more, if you're editing that, you should cut that part out. It's a 4-year-old kid for Christ's sake.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Where are you seeing that? If there's a reporter involved he was shooting his own stuff, and even if that's the case there's a damn good chance he didn't write it.

My understanding was it was shot by an overnight stringer, and he would have nothing to do with the writing of the story. He would just drop the tape off and someone else would write it.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

You don't talk to kids unless you get an okay from a parent, teacher or guardian. Period. And on something like this? Hell, no.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You're right. What I meant was, someone at some point edited the footage in that way. At some point, someone decided intentionally to remove a key part of the interview.

Draft saved Draft deleted