1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Sandberg Finally Manage The Cubs??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Aug 1, 2011.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

My younger brother, named after Sandberg, hopes not. He'd hate to see his good name ruined.

2. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Torre was a fine ball player, and a good manager. He just didn't play for the Yankees, so he doesn't really apply to the question being asked.

Larry Dierker led the Astros to first place finishes four of his five years managing. His star status as a player is always questionable since it is the Astros.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Lou Piniella did pretty well in his first stint with the Yankees, that is, until Steinbrenner got on his nerves too much.

4. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

The thing that separates Sandberg from the Trammels et al. is that he has a track record of success managing, and for the most part it's been with the kids that the Cubs are going to go with if the youth movement ever starts.

That he's been able to go Lehigh Valley, which until this season had never been above .500 in a season (not just finishing above .500 but above it for a single day), should give a little more confidence too. If Gillick gets the Cubs job, I'd be shocked if Sandberg doesn't get it.

5. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

OK, speaking as a St. Louis fan, I don't want to see La Russa go and manage the White Sox. It would break up the tandem of La Russa and Dave Duncan (unless Duncan went to the Sox with him) and it would truly be the end of an era for the Cardinals.

Now, the Cubs... I truly thought Ryne Sandberg should have gotten the job all along. Ya, Trammell didn't make it with the Tigers, but at least they tried. Sandberg will be an instant recognition name for the Cubs fans, at least the ones not too drunk to watch the game (YES, I said it, shoot me!). On a serious note, he's been in the minors. He's been in the big leagues. He's seen plenty of talent over the years and can evaluate it fairly. I think they have to give it a try.

Even if I weren't a StL fan, I'd still say the Cubs need a top-to-bottom overhaul. The fact the fans stayed away from Wrigley earlier this year told me that the message is starting to come through.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think its supremely sad that so many Cubs fans think Ryne Sandberg is some magic elixir to their woes. But I'm not surprised one bit because fans are ridiculously sentimental for their former players.

The truth is that zombie Sparky Anderson couldn't manage the current Cubs to respectability even after he ate John McGraw's brain.

It's all about talent which the Cubs don't have at present.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Hendry should have been fired a year ago. Incredible he still occupies a GM chair.

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Guillen was a good player. A very good one, but I wouldn't call him a star.

Star/superstar would be a Frank Thomas or Carlton Fisk managing the Sox.

9. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Can't argue there. A top to bottom overhaul is needed of this club. Starlin Castro may make errors. Tough. Leave him in. The only way he'll learn is on the job. Other rookies and youngsters like Darwin Barney and Tony Campana could be good chips in the future.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/08/why-carlos-pena-wasnt-traded.html

So a team with beaucoup money and resources has no organizational depth at a key position, thereby making a trade of a reasonable asset not likely to happen. And, as someone noted in the comments, a team that is (or recently was) carrying five midget outfielders.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My bad.

That's what happens when you try to keep up and post on your iPhone -- totally missed the "old team" qualifier.
    Piniella was a very solid player -- and one of my very favorites growing up, but most of his managerial success came after he left the Yankees.

12. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

I think Mike Scioscia has done a good job with the Angels.

Two-time All-Star, '85 NL MVP,

Draft saved Draft deleted