1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Job ad: 'You can't beat the quality of life.'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FleetFeet, Jul 25, 2011.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Great hidden part of the country...may not be able to afford some of the elite opportunities, but you'll have plenty to enjoy. And a full-time gig in this industry isn't anything to scoff out anymore.

2. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Doesn't the golf course there have a floating green?

3. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I can tell you right now of at least three dailies in northeastern New York paying that or less.

There *are* places where the "quality of life" or whatever you want to call it makes a lower salary a little more worth it.

And honestly, right now any job is a good job.

4. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I made $11.83 an hour at my last reporter j-job, and it was at a slightly larger daily and not a fresh-out-of-college position (and yes, the fact that I fled the journalism field is related to this).

Honestly, I kind of respect them for having the balls to put the pay in the job ad upfront. At least they're honest. I've come to assume "Salary Negotiable" means "You won't crack $25k but we're afraid to tell people that before they're kind of trapped."

5. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

I agree. There have been positions, even recently, for which I have applied and later found out the salary range. When asked to interview, I've politely declined because (a) I'm not an entry-level journalist and (b) the $12 or so just won't work for me and my family.

I agree, J-School Blue, that the employer deserves credit for putting the salary range into the advertisement.

Considering leaving the field myself. Have a job offer outside of sports writing ... we'll see.

6. In the words of a departed poster, you can't eat a mountain. CdA Press, for the cost of living, can eat a dick for offering that pittance.

And I'm not surprised to see the dick-measuring going on here about shitty wages in more expensive locales. Congratulations, journalists, for underselling your education and experience.

7. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Now wait a minute ... ;D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted