1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Kentucky beat writer, Louisville Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Creig Ewing, May 10, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If it's open and you take it, better hope the last-in-first-gone rule isn't applied because with Gannett, these purges will only continue.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The purges will continue, but I would think this job would be untouchable at the C-J.

I know a lot has changed in the last decade, but there was a time when I would have argued that other than USA Today, that this was Gannett's best sports section.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

It's still a decent section, even as the rest of the paper has sunk around it. They do a lot more than some papers with the staff they have (or had, in this case).

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Congrats to Kyle Tucker of the Norfolk paper, a former "beat colleague" and all-around good guy. He announced on his blog that he has taken this job - which means Louisville did get to fill it. Good get for them.

http://hamptonroads.com/2011/07/new-challenge-awaits

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Wow. Good for him. Hell of a hire.

6. Hambone

Hambone Member

Another star of WKU journalism lands a top job.

7. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

That's great. Good for Kyle.

8. writingump

writingump Member

Congrats to Kyle. Can't wait to see him put Calipari's feet to the fire at UK. The guy works hard and won't back down. Good hire.

9. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

Wow. Never met the guy, but I always liked what he wrote. Does the Pilot replace him? Or simply run Randy King's stuff out of Roanoke? I hope they don't do that, considering how much talent the 757 sends to Blacksburg every year.

10. Congrats, Kyle. Good, good dude. Great writer/reporter. Always had fun hanging w/him, especially at the beach house years ago...

11. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

One tweet (from a person who knows Virginia Tech sports, especially football) indicated the Pilot will not replace Kyle Tucker and the paper will use Randy King's work.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

That was the scuttlebutt at Pinehurst, funky. No more Pilot presence is Blacksburg. Kyle tweeted the hell out of that beat. For all of my old college friends from Tech, he was by far the top source of VT news.

Draft saved Draft deleted