1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The push for a new Islanders arena needs more cowbell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well they have a longer history in hockey than Dallas does, I believe, dating back at least to the WHA's Houston Aeros. Their AHL team has been fairly successful since its inception under the same name back in 1994-95. The Aeros last year averaged 6,326 a game, which doesn't sound like a ton, but it was in the top third of the league and 1,000 above the league average. Toronto by comparison averaged 4,694. By no means am I saying Houston is a better hockey market (before others jump all over me), just using it as a reference point.
    My first choice would be to put a team back in Quebec City, but if they are intent on shuffling on to another US market, I would take a strong look at Houston, certainly before Seattle and Portland.

2. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Key Arena.

And then they could finally take down those drapes that cover all of the upper sections... ya know, the ones that prevent the WNBA team from feeling like the place is 3/4 empty during playoffs.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

The same arena that was deemed not good enough for the Sonics?

4. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

That would be the one!

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Like I said before, no chance in hell unless a new building is built.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Actually, Dallas and Fort Worth both had pro hockey teams in 1941 - a league called the American Hockey Association, which evolved into the United States Hockey League - while Houston didn't get into the USHL until 1946. Dallas and Houston were then part of the old Central Hockey League starting in the mid '60s. I remember when Dallas was a Leafs farm club in the '70s.

7. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

I'm with you, I'm with you.

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I knew they had history in the old CHL and some of the older hockey leagues that ran through texas and Louisiana, but wasn't sure how far back. Hey I learned something new today!

9. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

It was deemed not good enough for the Sonics by a new owner who was hell-bent on moving the team. :)

That being said, KeyArena is awful for hockey. Seattle's WHL team used to play there; there are tons of restricted-view seats. The story is when the building was being renovated the Sonics' owners purposely made it bad for hockey because they didn't want a team in town that would compete with the Sonics.

10. ShiptoShore

ShiptoShore Member

Interesting. I never knew a hockey team played there. I was only joking when I said Key.

Six years ago I was in town for a wedding. Bored. I was still on EST and had nothing to do, so I went to a WNBA playoff game. It didn't cost much.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Houston. Interesting.
    You know, the Sunbelt needs more unsuccessful hockey teams that can't draw at the gate.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

But they don't even support the junior team they've got. ;D

I'd go with Hamilton or Hartford.

Draft saved Draft deleted