1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP Amy Winehouse

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by secretariat, Jul 23, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

What if it was a mental illness that led to her doing drugs? Then what?

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

The ignorance on this thread is mountainous.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Oops:

http://twitpic.com/5uod5y

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's no good side to take in this argument.

I'll just say that some people in the entertainment industry really need to look at how they enable some really troubled people -- Winehouse, Sheen, Lohan, etc. -- by working with them instead of insisting they seek help first.

Didn't Neil Young promise David Crosby he'd do another album with CSN if Crosby would get clean?

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YF, not defending it at all, but I think of it as a lot like sports. A meritocracy where if you're talented, people will put up with almost anything to roll you back out there.

I imagine in Winehouse's case, the thought always seemed to be that if people could get her working again and making music, that could get her over the demons.

6. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

We can always count on you for a snitfit. Thanks for not failing to disappoint.

"Music fans" would still be a reach. I count myself as a music fan and didn't care one iota for her music. Was she talented? Obviously. Just not my cup of tea. She apparently was for millions of others, and that's fine.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

She hadn't released anything since, what, 2006? That doesn't scream "remarkable talent" to me ...

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If only News of the World had hacked into her cell calls, then we'd know!

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I've got a friend of mine who probably just won some money in a death pool. Yes, there are people that morbid.

10. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

What if she just enjoyed doing drugs, loved the high and just took a bad batch or just too much? A last resort? She like driugs and took it too far. It was almost like a badge of honor, her calling card. she was selfish and paid the ultimate price.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Then don't. Who is forcing you? If anybody comes off as Mr Superior, among other things it would be you.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

She seem like she was enjoying herself to you?

Draft saved Draft deleted