1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The push for a new Islanders arena needs more cowbell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569784

Next Wednesday, Blue Oyster Cult will put on a free concert to support the effort behind a new Nassau Coliseum.

So, I'm guessing this'll be the last year for the Isles in New York. Should I go ahead and pre-order the KC Scouts jersey?

2. robertobajo

robertobajo New Member

"Don't Feat the Rangers?"

Saskatoon Blades?

//islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=569784[/url]

Next Wednesday, Blue Oyster Cult will put on a free concert to support the effort behind a new Nassau Coliseum.

So, I'm guessing this'll be the last year for the Isles in New York. Should I go ahead and pre-order the KC Scouts jersey?
    [/quote]

3. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Winnipeg would no longer have the smallest rink in the NHL.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Missed out on a great opportunity when St. Louis flirted with going there -- Saskatoon Tunes...

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well Saskatchewan is finally starting to take advantage of its vast oil reserves, so their economy is growing, but there is no way Saskatoon or Regina could support a team. Yes they support the Roughriders as an entire province but that's for nine games a year. Big difference for 41 games at a higher ticket price when your driving Saskatchewan roads (and I use the term roads loosely) during the middle of the winter. I think Sask Place in Saskatoon is expandable, but again it is nowhere big enough. Saskatoon is only 231,000 people big, Regina is only 205,000, combined they don't even get up to Winnipeg's size and Winnipeg is the smallest market in the league.
    If Quebec City does get their arena built, they are the next Canadian city in line. Kansas City also still makes sense provided they find an owner -- they've been ominously quiet during the Phoenix Coyotes and Atlanta Thrashers debacles.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Well it is already called 'Toon town

7. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

Oh, I agree it's impossible. Just amused at the proposal and how briefly Winnipeg would hold the title of "smallest" were it to happen. Although as it stands there's not a bad seat in the house at Credit Union Place (saw a few of the regular season games they played there in the mid 90s).

8. Simon

Simon Active Member

Kansas City isn't getting a team unless it finds a local owner or a team is in such bad shape that the owner agrees to own the team in KC and then have George Brett and other locals with cash agree to cover operation costs.

KC is over saturated with sports teams as is. An NHL team would struggle unless it started winning right out of the gate.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

No, I don't got any Blue Oyster Cult!

10. They had Randy Jackson (no, not that one) from Zebra speak out in favor of it the other day. Of course, the Islanders and Zebra were last relevant at the same time.

I heard that Hamilton, Ontario, was the next logical place which could lead to another Fast Times pull.

11. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

If the NHL has to move a franchise any time soon, my money is on Seattle.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and they would play where exactly?

Draft saved Draft deleted