1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter -- Pensacola (Fla.) News Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by jmb51879, Jun 28, 2011.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nah. I've got a wall to talk to with better comprehension...

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Unfortunately, many times it's who you know, not what you know.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I'll pose this question to the crowd. If it agrees with everything, then so be it and I'll admit I was wrong.

How strange does it look at hiring someone "internally" (i.e. from within Gannett) just four days after stopping taking more than 100 applications for the position? I'm sure Pensacola didn't attract Tyler Dunne-type talent, but I'm sure, out of the 100-plus, someone had the institutional knowledge of the area that would've made him/her an ideal candidate or one of those 100-plus was a more accomplished journalist than the hire. (We'll never know for sure, but it's probably a fair characterization. If not, then I'm mistaken.) Was this even enough time to read the clips of people who applied and check with references of, say, the top 10 candidates before narrowing to 5-7 phone interviews? I've never made a hire, so I don't know, but I imagine you'd be hard pressed to do so.

Now, maybe Bob had his hand forced by Gannett and had to hire the guy. But I feel it would be nice for him to say, "Look, we knew going in that he was our guy. Oh, well." Or maybe Bob went through all the applications, read the clips of the 15 or however many that interested, said they aren't any good and went with his guy.

Yeah, shit happens in our industry. But there's nothing wrong with wishing an industry that prides itself on being transparent and honest was always so.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I don't think many editors would divulge the details of the hiring process for an opening. Nor should they, unless you really want the truth as to why you didn't get hired.

You don't have much of a clue of how hiring works. References usually aren't checked until after the first interview. You also don't know why or how Brady's name came up.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

dkphxf

You seem to forget these hirings don't happen in a vacuum. Evey day a place accepts apps, goes through them, waits for interviews is another day short staffed. Those suck.

I've seen spots where an editor admitted he didn't read half his sports apps. He found one that blew him away, went down that road and ultimately offered the job. Sometimes it goes the other way. Sometimes you end up hiring someone you didn't contact until a month after the "Two week" window closed. Hell, the two weeks can often be just a guideline, not one step in a rigid process.

All these things happen organically, so even if you knew how one don't it doesn't say much about any of the others. The guy they got seems like a hell of a candidate, no need to denigrate him by acting like he was just some special case because he worked in the company.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm not pretending to speak for Bob or the Journal but stop whining. You didn't get the job, OK. I've been there many times and it's not a nice feeling but it's not the end of the world. Hell with all the trouble going on at G-World, this may be a blessing.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Not strange at all. If you have 100 applicants, maybe there is someone who was better than the guy hired. Maybe not. But yeah, who you know matters. That might not be much solace at age 22, but at age 32, 42, 52, that's how ANY biz works and you'll end up on both sides if you're around long enough. I've been passed over for jobs where I know I was better than the guy hired, and I can think of a gig or two that I got because I knew the right guy and I couldn't have possibly been the top dog. Moral of the story? Don't sweat it. And don't come here and try to call out a guy on it. Even if you're just hiding behind a vowel-challenged username, it's a bad idea.

Also, please know that editors have a person in mind more often than not when they make that cattle call for resumes. But maybe from those resumes they find someone worth keeping in touch with and tracking for the NEXT gig. Again, that's all connections. So you play the game and deal with it.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

dxphfk,

When you're looking to fill a position, it makes sense to get as broad a pool of applicants as possible. Maybe one stands out, for whatever reason.

Think of this: what if person #1 doesn't take the job, then you're back to square one, to the pile again. Or maybe there's another opening down the road. Most of us, self included, have been part of searches where one person emerged as a clear front-runner. Doesn't mean the other applicants weren't qualified, or whatever. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

9. Larry Holder

Larry Holder New Member

Brady is a MORE than worthy candidate for the job. Trust me. Congrats to him and good hire by Bob.

10. DC_Reeves

DC_Reeves Member

I can't speak for the hiring process, and it's certainly not my place anyway, but I will say this: This ain't Bob's first rodeo. He's made plenty of hires before and he's also fully aware of the way these situations are handled. Pretty sure he doesn't need any pointers in that regard.

If you already think this issue is off base and you don't know Bob, you can imagine how ridiculous it seems if you've watched this guy work like a dog night in, night out, lead his section to APSE awards everywhere he goes and handle his staff like a true pro.

11. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

But I didn't get the interview I deserved. If only Bob had looked at my junior varsity roundup, he would have hired me.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

two words
    TAKE IT!

Draft saved Draft deleted