1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RIP George Kimball

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Glenn Stout, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Glenn Stout

Glenn Stout Member

He passed away yesterday, a writer and a fighter to the end.

http://www.thesweetscience.com/news/articles-frontpage/12903-george-kimball-1943-2011

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Horrible. So sad. Class act. Will be missed.

3. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Michael Gee's appreciation from the Boston Herald:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/other_sports/general/view.bg?articleid=1350253&position=1

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

First Nick Charles, now George.
    It's been a sad few weeks for me.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

I'd never met George and here he came, in the Bahamas, Ali's last fight, to the first tee, and I thought, "My God, a pirate!" That red beard, one eye, wild hair leaping off his head, that belly hanging over a tiny waistline, always in jeans, disheveled on his good days. For years, we played golf at every fight. The better he played, the wider his stance got until, I swear, that belly scraped the ground on putts. I saw him, in Perth, chase a kangaroo who'd come onto a green and hopped away with his ball. Last time we played, at a Kentucky Derby, we were partners winning big until the 18th hole where, through some convoluted wagering system that only he understood, we contrived to lose big. He loved the business, loved the column, loved life. A sweetheart in pirate's disguise. The one and only.

6. jeff.pearlman

jeff.pearlman Member

I never really knew George until I started working on my biography of Roger Clemens a few years ago. Clemens had once thrown a hamburger bun at George, and I wanted to hear about the incident. Well, George was fantastic. Funny, cooperative, engaging. In fact, around that time I helped collect auction goods for a fundraiser on behalf of a journalist friend of mine, Brian Hickey, who had been critically injured in a hit-and-run accident. I called George to ask if he'd sign a copy of his (excellent) book, "Four Kings." Well, not only did he sign it—he took it upon himself to call up all the authors he knew and get them to contribute. George had never met Hickey; didn't even know who he was.

It was so wonderfully classy and decent of him.

Anyhow, that's how I remember George.

7. Ronrapoport

Ronrapoport New Member

I was walking down upper Broadway with George and Chuck Culpepper a year ago January when George stopped to pull out a cigarette. "What's the problem?" he said when I remonstrated. "Am I going to die of cancer."

I was able to see George again just a few weeks ago and as Marge and I sat eating bagels and lox, he sipped on a cup of coffee and showed me the table of contents of his new book--a collection of boxing fiction he and his buddy John Schulian were cooking up as a sort of companion piece to "At The Fights," their superb collection of boxing journalism that was just published.

You want to know what the trouble with this damn disease is? He asked. It's so hard to breathe I'm having trouble writing this book review that's due in a couple of days.,

In his swell obit of George in the Boston Herald today, Michael Gee said George didn't fight cancer, he ignored it. It's amazing to me the way he just kept right on going--writing, laughing, living life out loud until the end.

I'd say they broke the mold when they made George, but, hell, who ever thought of making a mold like that in the first place?

8. Mike Nadel

Mike Nadel Member

I was at the Metrodome the night Clemens starting winging hamburger buns at George in the visitor's clubhouse. The site of a multiple Cy Young winner firing totally harmless "fastballs" at a writer he didn't like remains one of the funniest things I've seen in journalism. I didn't know George, but anybody who could get a dirtbag like Clemens that pissed must have been OK!

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

George was a big part of my youth, and Michael Gee is correct: The guy was mischievous. RIP.

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

George once told a friend of mine "If you're not pissing people off, you're not doing your job."

11. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

Dave, that's my exact recollection of meeting George, except instead of your much more glamorous "in the Bahamas, Ali's last fight, to the first tee ..." sub "in the dusty Boston Herald news room, around midnight, as I waited to type in racing results from Raynham Park ..."
    Either way, the world with George in it was never dull. I'll miss him dearly. And Michael, what a wonderful tribute to a lovely (yes, lovely) man.

12. You have to appreciate guys like George who are passionate about the sports they cover and it seeps through in every word they write. He became part of the landscape without becoming the story and it was a treat to read him and Borges during 80s when i was growing up and Hagler, Duran et al were huge names. Sad day indeed.

Tremendous tribute Michael Gee; a standard for such pieces. Well done.

My sympathies to George's family and friends.

Draft saved Draft deleted