1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Page Designer/Copy Editor -- The (Vallejo, Calif.) Times-Herald,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jul 5, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Full-time page designer / copy editor. The Times-Herald, a San Francisco Bay Area MediaNews Group daily newspaper that covers Vallejo, Benicia, American Canyon and beyond has an anticipated opening for a full-time page designer/copy editor to join our five-member Universal copy desk. Our desk includes three members of the sports staff, who cover sports in our circulation area that includes Solano and Napa County, as well as help produce the paper throughout the week. We work closely with our various Bay Area sister papers including the San Jose Mercury News, Contra Costa Times and Oakland Tribune. Applicants must be willing to work nights and weekends. Health, dental, 401K benefits, and more. Interested applicants should e-mail work and/or layout samples, resume and a cover letter that includes any salary requirements to Managing Editor Jack Bungart at jbungart@timesheraldonline.com and Editor Ted Vollmer at tvollmer@timesheraldonline.com, or in writing to 440 Curtola Parkway, Vallejo, CA 94590.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1266739

2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Re: Page Designer/Copy Editor -- The (San Francisco, Calif.) Times-Herald,

Please change the thread title. This is the Vallejo Times-Herald. Has nothing to do with San Francisco.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Jack Bungart started as a sportswriter there ... good people.

4. BurgersForBreakfast

BurgersForBreakfast New Member

Not sure where this person would work, but Vallejo, which is just a few minutes from Napa and beautiful parts of Wine Country, has some serious crime and social problems. You could conceivably live in San Francisco, but at this salary you probably would be sharing a place in a not-great area, or you could maybe live in the nice suburbs to the West, such as Walnut Creek, but that's not cheap, either. MediaNews is no picnic. More layoffs are a real threat.

5. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Vallejo is not a great place in itself, but in terms of cities to live, you have a pretty wide range of options. Places like Benicia, Martinez and even Crockett are not bad. North Contra Costa county can be a on the pricy side, but good if you are looking for nice schools. SF is almost not an option on any journalism salary.

6. BurgersForBreakfast

BurgersForBreakfast New Member

i know/have recently known maybe 20 journalists who live/have lived in san francisco and worked in suburbs, one who worked in vallejo. it's not easy, and probably not smart, but it's clearly an option.

7. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Everything I know about Vallejo I learned from listening to Mac Dre and E-40 records

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

San Francisco to Vallejo is 32 miles according to my Rand McNally, but you're also talking two toll bridges (are they still working on the new span on the Oakland side of the Bay Bridge?), plus Bay Area traffic, which can rival LA on any given day. The City is nice to visit, but to echo dirtybird, is not a housing option. You may even want to consider looking east, toward Davis and Sacramento.

Vallejo is also a two public high-school town now, Hogan High having been closed in June, leaving Bethel and Vallejo High. In my first life as a sportswriter, one of my teams played Hogan during the football playoffs. The's "Hogan Heroes" theme was their fight song!

Draft saved Draft deleted