1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A New Beer Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Webster, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Mira

Mira Member

How does Raspberry Tart compare to Linemans Framboise Lambic? More tart or sweet? Lindemans is outstanding.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If a bar doesn't have something I haven't had before (always the first choice) I'll go with a Stone Arrogant Bastard, Rogue Dead Guy, Sam Adams and a Deschutes Black Butte Porter.
    Oh and Happy Craft Beer Month Oregon!
    Personal faves: IPA-Bridgeport; Hefe-Widmer; Porter-Deschutes; Amber (ish)-Dead Guy; Red-Ninkasi Double Red - Specialty- Full Sail Black Gold Bourbon Barrel Aged Stout; Winter-Deschutes Jubelale.

3. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

Personally I much prefer NG RT...I find Lindeman's products taste syrupy-sweet while the NG fruit beers are crisper.

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

If it's New Glarus...it's gotta be Fat Squirrel for me.

5. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Tried Dixie Blackened Voodoo Lager for the first time last night. It was pretty tasty, didn't knock my socks off.

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Plenty of my favorite IPAs are on that list, but I'd put Great Divide's Hercules double IPA above many, if not most, of them. Just tried the Rumble oak-aged IPA from Great Divide, and it's fantastic.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

What's more fun, naming a beer or naming a band?

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Since my buddy is a budding brewer and is hoping to start his own shop...it's been fun naming beers. That, and if he hits it big (he won't but still would be awesome if he did), I'll have a famous beer with my name on it!

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Yes, the KBS is phenomenal. You won't be getting your hands on the CBS, of course, unless you find a bar that has it on tap ... provided they continue not bottling it. There is some talk that they may begin bottling and having a limited distribution within the next year or two, but we'll see. I've had the CBS twice at the Brick Store Pub in Decatur, Ga., and it's beyond belief. I've got 6 more KBS bottles in the fridge that are awaiting the right moment.

Had an awesome beer last weekend ... the Firestone Walker Double Jack. It's an IPA that's just remarkably smooth and tasty. Loved it. Also had the Ola Dubh Special Reserve 40. Amazing beer. Had the thickest head I've ever seen on a beer. It was basically like a little loaf of bread was floating on the beer. The head was a light brown and just sat there. Didn't go down for 20 minutes. The beer was strong, but I can handle strong. Definitely one of the best beers I've had.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Had two more really good ones -- the Founders Centenial was fantastic. Also had the Hell Or High Watermelon Wheat Beer, which was very nice and smooth.

11. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

If you guys want a good fruit beer with some oomph, I suggest Kasteel Rouge, an 8 percent Belgian kreik (cherry) beer. Had it on tap at the go-to pizza place back home. Drinks as smooth as cherry soda but has a kick. Not as sweet as Lindemen's. I had one straight and one mixed with Woodchuck and both were great. Hoping it'll still be around when Southern Tier Choklat hits, because that has to be a pretty awesome mix.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Been a couple of weeks ago, but I tried an awesome microbrew again out of McKinney — Franconia Wheat.

http://www.franconiabrewing.com/brews.html

Franconia Dunkel is pretty good too.

Draft saved Draft deleted