1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

We have 24 movie stars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Query:

Why do I give a shit if Paul Blart Mall Cop makes money?

2. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

At some point in recent years, I had successfully forgotten Battlefield Earth. Thanks a million.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Well, you certainly don't have to care, big boy. ;)

But it IS an indicator of an actor's box-office draw.

4. clintrichardson

clintrichardson Active Member

I don't care for Kevin James either, but I was driving by a big billboard for his new movie Zookeeper, and the billboard consisted of nothing more than a huge photo of Kevin James and some words. I thought that it was amazing that you could just put a photo of Kevin James on a billboard and count on that to communicate to an audience "go to this movie and you will see a broad entertainment that, if nothing else, will go down easy."

James is to me more a successful brand than a star, because he can only do a certain stripe of movie at this point. He's not like, say, a Clooney or a Denzel who can carry all different kinds of vehicles, which is to me the sign of a true star.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yes, but that's not Simmons' definition in making the list.

He says a movie star can carry a movie in his genre.

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It's funny but when Paul Blart Mall Cop came out and I saw the TV and print ads I thought - man I've never heard of Paul Blart, he sure looks a lot like Kevin James.

7. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

No love for Kevin Costner? Harrison Ford?

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Other than the God-awful Indy 4, Ford's movies have all bombed lately.

I can't remember the last time Costner had a hit, but I'm guessing I was probably still in college.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I agree with critics who say that Ford plays the same character all the time, the aggrieved good guy whose inherent competence wins out in the end. At some point, your star loses its luster when you keep repeating yourself like that.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Right. But typically, "at some point" means after they've made gazillions of dollars. I think Harrison Ford sleeps well at night, despite losing his "luster."

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't even know if it's that. What's his last good movie? I know Indy IV made a shitload of money, but it was horrible. What Lies Beneath was in 2000. Air Force One was 1997.

He's one of the all-time biggest movie stars. You could argue he's the biggest movie star of all-time, but he's pushing 70 and he has far more bombs than successful films in the last 10-12 years.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

It's funny that you note that he's pushing 70, yet he has never taken on the role of an "old man." Think about it. Even in Indy IV, his character seems to be in his early 50s. Ford was actually older in Indy IV than Connery was when he played Indy's father in The Last Crusade.

I think that's part of the problem with some of his recent roles. He can no longer convincingly pull off the fights in his movies without some editing and it's become fairly obvious.

Draft saved Draft deleted