1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (VI)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 28, 2011.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

No idea how they'll go over, but I really like Arsenal's new away jerseys.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. As a Sporting fan, I can unequivocally say "we don't want him!!!!"
    I think he's as overrated as U.S. players can get; brutally slow, miserably out of position and just not very good.
    For him, I think as long as he's healthy, he'll get minutes and hopefully his game will get better. Portugal isn't the best league in Europe, but there are quality teams in the top 5, of which Sporting is part of. He will play against Porto twice-maybe more given Cup--and Benfica twice (great, underrated rivalry in Europe).
    Pacienca, the former Braga manager, is the new SCP boss. He supposedly loves big middle defenders and he's the one who wanted Gooch. Maybe he can mold him into something productive.
    My 2 cents.

3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

With a dirty mind, the commentary on this Women's World Cup features all sorts of unintentional comedy.

Actual quote: "She keeps coming for balls she can't get."

4. derwood

derwood Active Member

Scoop Jackson's take on Tim Howard

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?id=6716347

5. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I disagree with his view, but ignoring that for a moment... Jesus, that guy can't write at all.

6. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Not that impressed with the German women today with all the rolling around that was going on. Nigeria was physical and beat them around for sure, but there were way too many extra dramatics from the Germans. Plus given the fact that their only goal should have been called back because of the handball, and I got a little sick of the whining from the announcers about the poor, poor Germans not getting enough of the calls.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Nice and feminine, those Nigerians. Top work, coach.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

It's a team that's just about in shambles. Prinz has no business playing anymore. I understand honoring her with the start in the opener, but she was worse today. The chemistry between the attacking players is almost nonexistent. Always have liked what Inka Grings brings to the table, but she has a bit of a history of causing dressing room problems. Also Grings as well as Kerstin Garefrekes are over 30 and didn't really look like they wanted to be in a track meet today.

As far as ESPN's announcing crew on that game, nice job with the thinly veiled racism. Was watching with someone who isn't a soccer fan and even he said "They're a little prejudiced, aren't they?".

9. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Prinz has got to be in her late 30s now, right? I remember her from 1999, and I don't think she was that young them. Women's soccer players tend to retire in their mid-30s unless they're Kristine Lilly.

I usually like the PBP guy who was on that game, but he was having some bias issues today. Though I agree with them that referee had some, er, issues. That's always a big part of the WWC, though, since once you get outside of North America and Europe, there's a real lack of quality referees.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

How I wish the U.S. men had the spirit and vision of the U.S. women. They're relentless here. More intelligent touches in 25 minutes here than the men have in a full game.

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Andrei Arshavin compared them to jockey silks earlier this week.

The jury's still out in this province.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

This, on steroids.

Draft saved Draft deleted