1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

More Gannett cuts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Fran Curci, Jun 21, 2011.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reading the various memos - it sounds like Gannett is going to focus more on "big picture" stories instead of the day to day coverage. Which in the Internet era is not a great idea. I used to check in on that Bay Citizen site the NYT is involved with - not enough content = less likely I'll see something that grabs me enough to stick around.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

OK, pardon my language, but this bothers the FUCK out of me. Sam and I talked when we were in the early stages of staff building. I knew it was a longshot. We're not New York and we don't have New York money. But I wanted to see. Sam is exactly the type of person I was looking to find - very skilled, very versatile, very willing to try different approaches.

We could not work it out at the time but promised to stay in touch (we have) and hope it happens in the future.

Now this is not news, we all know this - but if our business has reached the point where a paper can think a guy like Sam is expendable? Maybe it is worse than I thought. That's just a sad, sad, sad commentary that screams: QUALITY DOES NOT COUNT.

I know there are other examples of this all over our land. I know Sam is not the only person of exceptional quality to be laid off. I know NO layoffs are good. I don't want to see anyone lose a job. This one just hits home because of our recent connection.

I love this business. I'm still in this business. This is what I know, this is what I do well (and about all I do well). I'll die in this business. Days like today make me wonder if that won't come sooner rather than later.

Damn. Just damn.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Of course quality does not count anymore.

Has that ever been in question?

Did it count when Rick Maese was shown the door in Baltimore? Did it count when Tim Povtak was let go in Orlando? What about Martin McNeal in Sacramento? I could sit here and list names for hours, but it would just depress all of us.

It's never been about quality. It's about saving money. It's been that way since these things started. There's the occasional last hired, first fired place, but for the most part if you're cheaper, you're the keeper.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Reminds me of a conversation at a funeral. One person says "He was such a great guy. Pitty he had to die so young. I feel for him."

Person two replies "Don't sorry feel for him. He's one of the lucky ones. The persons to feel sorry for are the ones left behind."

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Talked with a friend at a Gannett paper tonight. Not Jackson or Nashville, just to be clear.

Excerpt:

"The managers here simply do not have a clue of what to do now. They're supposed to take a new direction in editorial approach with lesser resources, but they're the same damned managers who didn't know what to do with greater resources.

"It's typical Gannett b.s., looking for a silver bullet when the answer is obvious. Every survey they do tells tham readers want more local coverage, yet they ignore that and try to pursue the corporate flavor of the week.

"These cuts strike at the very heart of the thing people say they want, better local coverage."

6. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Talked to a friend in Asheville ... they lost 12 people, but there's two weird things -- 1) their cuts actually happened LAST month (combination of layoffs and not filling open spots) and 2) a lot of people had to REAPPLY for their jobs ...

7. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

When newspapers finally die off, we're going to look back and curse media conglomeration as the death nail for the business. We can't adapt to changes and we can't offer what our readers want because our hands are tied by a corporation that can't see beyond the immediate bottom line and allow the local managers to do what they need to do to succeed.

Meanwhile, bloggers, tweaters and ESPN kick our asses and dumb down the collective intelligence of the populous who look for sound bites and not real news.

I wanted to cry when I saw the Gannett cuts come down. I can't help but think which company is next and how many more good reporters are going to be pushing brooms in McDonalds.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

BTW, I heard Jackson lost 10 in the news room, including Joe Powell, longtime sports desker. Shown the door after 27 years. Man, oh man.

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

After the news broke yesterday, I sent a message to my friend that left the DM Register last year about it being quite the day at his former shop. His response: "Gannett blows chunks. Pure scum."
    Not that we didn't already know that, of course.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Quality was replaced with "good enough for the Web."

11. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

The guild employees are exempt from that charade in Indy, but the salaried people are having to do that. No word if there will be cuts, or just reorganization. Wouldn't be surprised to see cuts/demotions, after all there are a lot fewer people to supervise.

12. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

In addition to losing some of the sports desk and a bureau guy, Indy Star also diminished today when Jeff Rabjohns announced he was going to the Peegs IU fan site. I'd have to think there's no way his spot will be filled.

Draft saved Draft deleted