1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

North Andover Mass. paper says NFL lockout ending

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by JimmyHoward33, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

LMAO!!!

2. The Basement

The Basement Member

Perhaps the reporters ripping this guy for breaking the news way, way early should've been so lucky to have in-the-know sources. many reputable outlets producing stories now saying how the lockout is indeed, nearly over.
    Perhaps the PFTers are just mad they were beaten by a regular beat guy.
    CBSsportslines: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/15231374/nfl-source-labor-negotiations-8085-percent-complete
    LA Times: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2011/06/nfl-players-reportedly-making-progress-in-labor-talks.html

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

i'd love, love, LOVE if the story turns out to be rock solid. great to see 'little' outlets can still school the bigs. totally believeableble they could. and entirely feasible. for all we know, the long-time writer has a great relationship with bob kraft or one of his sons, for example. maybe he called the guy at the right time. whatever.

i doubt the guy 'just took a shot' without having someone VERY in the know whispering to him, 'it's looking really, really good... we're 80-85 percent there.'

listen up: EVERYONE on this board should be pulling for the story to be right on, to show us all it's still possible for someone other than the ny times (the nfl's paper of choice to feed), mort, schefter, king, whatever big-name media 'star' you pick. it'd be refreshing and encouraging... much like every key sports upset in which the apparent david slays goliath. not unlike the mavs 'team' showing the rest of the nba that having the most stars isn't the only answer.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

So what was that about decertification not being a sham?

5. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how we're still pulling for anything. What's the statute of limitations on the word "almost"? A week? A month? He reported a deal was reached in principal and coaches and players would be back to work over the weekened or in the next week.

All false. Or am I missing something where there's still hope that Burt can claim victory?

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

He might be a little off on the timeline, but I admire his gumption for going with this and not backing down. Who knows who his source was? Nothing said here indicates he's a guy who'd take a flier on something like this without having something pretty solid.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It could end tomorrow and I don't think this guy would get any credit.

If it ends in the next three weeks or so, he'll be able to say he was right, and whether he was or whether he just got lucky, nobody will know...

I hope that's what happens. I certainly don't want this guy to have his career ended, or at the least have him marked as "that guy" the way reporters sometimes are after they fuck up or have the spotlight on them for the wrong reasons (their fault or not...).

8. SudburyPatch

SudburyPatch Guest

I used to work with Burt ... let's just nothing surprises me in regards to him. He cares more about being viewed as a big-time sports guy rather than putting together a legitimate sports section for the ET readers. Remember how he ripped ESPN's Wilbon only to backtrack and apologize (http://www.eagletribune.com/sports/x1876368775/Pardon-the-interruption-but-Wilbon-is-a-jerk?keyword=topstory). Again, him just wanting attention.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I will only point out that the people at the old United Press (I think) who were responsible for the report on November 7, 1981 that World War I was over, although only off by four days, did not become legends of journalism -- at least, not in a good way.

10. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Four days early? That's 63 years late! (Ah, the simple joy of typos...)

11. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

To be fair, it they did report that World War I was over on November 7, 1981, they would be correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted