1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Miami Herald: Congratualtions Heat!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Jun 13, 2011.

1. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

The Providence TV stations, whenever a Boston team wins a championship, always have a live shot on the 11 o'clock news from some shop printing up shirts that had employees at the ready.

2. And again, just why this place sucks sometimes. Why am I Capt. Obvious, and the original poster is not?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Um, maybe because there should have been someone at the Herald to make sure that this doesn't happen?

And like I said, it's doubly worse, because it wasn't even a Game 7.

And it's not like it's some little 2x2 ad that has a typo in it. There should have been more than one set of eyes looking at the page.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Because you used the word "obviously."

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Correction is up:

http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/06/13/2264562/corrections-clarifications.html

6. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I would assume it's the manufacturer or whoever holds the license to produce the gear. And I would assume they also get a tax write-off in donating the Heat/Steelers/Rangers gear.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Dad worked for a company that made such gear. I still have a Seattle Supersonics title t-shirt from when they beat, er, lost to the Bulls.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I understand being prepared, but why did they even entertain the possibility of the Sonics winning?

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

What is about Florida papers that love to do this?

Wasn't it the Tampa Tribune that erred in similar fashion related to the Tampa Bay Lightning and the Stanley Cup final in '04?

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Donating? I would assume it has to be discarded. Are there homeless guys walking around wearing "Rangers: 2010 World Series champs" T-shirts? I ask this seriously.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I always think of Tom Brokaw's great line during Election Night 2000, regardless of which side you were on (or independent).

"We don't just have egg on our face, we have an entire omelet."

12. Mozilla

Mozilla Guest

Bobcat, the T-shirts typically are donated to third-world countries, where the locals neither know nor care about LeBron James. But they are happy to have new shirts.

Draft saved Draft deleted