1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter or sports writer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dennis Lin, Jun 7, 2011.

1. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Patch contributor.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

I like Tele casters better. But Strato casters are okay too.

3. Business writer is apt, your comparison is not.
    Quarterback, halfback and fullback are one word. Running back is not. You can see the difference, yes?

Two words.

4. Dos Equis, er, Dos Palabras

5. Darin Gantt

Darin Gantt New Member

Whenever aspiring young journalists ask me about the business (and what a great idea that is), I always send them a copy of the great Charleston columnist Ken Burger's column on this very topic. It's awesome on many levels, not the least of which is Ken probably wrote it in about 25 minutes. He's that good.

-------

Remember, sports writer is two words
    By Ken Burger
    I am often approached by wide-eyed youngsters who think being a sports writer would be the most wonderful job in the whole wide world. Going to sporting events for a living. Meeting famous athletes. Traveling far and wide in search of a good story.
    I am always the first to admit that this is a great job. I have been doing it for a long time now and never wake up and wish I were doing something else for a living.
    But whenever I am asked by Generation Next about becoming a sports writer, I always ask them why they would choose this particular line of work as a vocation.
    "Because I just love sports," they always say. "I live and breathe sports. It's the only thing I'm really interested in."
    That is when I always ask them this question: Which do you like best, the sports or the writing? And they always look back at me with a puzzled expression. They are not sure of the right answer.
    The answer, of course, is simple.
    I always tell aspirants to this lofty profession that they should remember that sports writer is two words. Sports is merely what you cover. Writing is what you do. Eventually, you'll get tired of the games. So the writing has to be the part you love the most.

No cheering, please
    My advice to those who think this job is God's gift to any sports fan is for them to actually consider what we do for a living. Yes, we go to a lot of games. And yes, we get in free on a working press pass. But the key word here is working.
    We do not tailgate before the game. We do not drink during the game. We do not cheer. We do not get up and go home when the game is over. We never get to leave early.
    My father, in fact, thought I had landed a pretty soft job out of college when I was a young sports writer covering college football for a Columbia newspaper. Then one day, I took him to a game and let him sit in the press box.
    The elevator to the press area impressed him. So did the pregame meal and the seat right on the 50-yard line. But once the game got under way, I constantly had to reach over and politely calm my father down, because he was a fan of the game and constantly felt the need to applaud or show his emotions in some manner.
    As strange as it seems to normal people, we don't do that. Every working press box in America, college or pro, has a standing rule - no cheering.
    My father never asked me to take him to a game again.

Pull for the story
    Personally, I've never had a problem with that aspect of the job because I've never been a fan.
    I grew up liking to play sports, but never became a fan of any particular team or favored one sport over another. I was always a casual observer, which turned out to be helpful in my line of work.
    The bottom line of my job is that I really don't care who wins or loses any particular game. I have no allegiances to clutter my view of the event. When people inevitably ask me who I pull for, I always answer the same way: "I pull for the story."
    The way I watch a game is different from the way you watch a game. Instead of worrying about who wins or loses, I am always tuned into why somebody wins or loses, what personalities or circumstances led to that result, what does it mean in perspective to the big picture, or any number of small subplots that might run through the story that might shed light on the outcome.
    My theory is, somebody wins, somebody loses, but I've still got a column to write before I can go home. And since I'm getting paid to do it, I might as well enjoy it and write something interesting.

What we do
    There are times when this can be the most exciting job in the world and times when it can be a real bore. It has its moments of euphoria and it has its unrelenting deadlines.
    But that's why they call it a job.
    And while there is a lot of travel and a lot of time spent watching games and interviewing coaches and players, what it all boils down to is the writing.
    Personally, that is my favorite part. There are people in this business who love the games and the players and the lifestyle but hate the writing part. They got in this business because they thought all they had to do was watch football or baseball or basketball for a living. They thought writing about it was just the price of admission. They soon learned they were in the wrong business. They should be sitting in the stands with the fans. And, eventually, that's where they end up.
    Once I took my son, Brent, into a busy press room after a college basketball game to show him what I did for a living. When I asked him later what he thought, he was unimpressed.
    "Just a bunch of guys typing," he said with a shrug.
    Indeed, that's exactly what we do. When the game is over and the cheers are just an echo and the fans are partying in the parking lot and the stadium is dark, you are left sitting in a press box with a head full of facts and figures and opinions and quotes and fragments of fractured literature and a blank computer screen and a clock ticking inside your head and an editor screaming over the phone for live copy in 20 minutes and you finally get a chance to do the thing you love the most - write.
    So you write and you sweat and you watch the clock and you write some more and you check a fact and you wonder if you've got enough to fill the hole and then wonder if you've got too much and then you have to hit the button and send it in before you even have a chance to read it and you walk away into the night wondering if you could have done it better.
    Then, by the time that paper hits the street the next morning, you're on your way to the next game and another chance to make the words sing and dance, no matter who wins or loses.
    It's who we are. It's what we do.
    And in the end, it's not about sports, it's about writing.

Draft saved Draft deleted