1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DC correspondent for AJC

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by kickoff-time, May 27, 2011.

1. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Interesting to see that a major newspaper actually lists a salary.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1257733

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

AJC has always listed salaries for its openings... for the most part, anyway.

3. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Instead of a DC correspondent, how about getting a later deadline?
    Changing gears, but I was in Atlanta over Memorial Day weekend and was shocked that the Braves' home game that ended at 10:30 pm wasn't in the Monday paper. Just a note saying go online. Same with 600 race in Charlotte. I paid $1 for a Monday paper and 2/3 of the sports cover teased to online. No columns. No features. Not much of anything.

I was staying with friends in Marietta. Atlanta people...is this the new normal? Did I get a state edition?

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

The AJC's screwy deadlines come up from time to time on here.

I had a similar gripe about a layover at Hartsfield when I bought an AJC and most of the sports was teased to online.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

What state edition? That was killed well over a year ago.

I don't know a paper that has fallen further faster.

6. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Can't even get a Urinal-Constipation in Macon. I remember in high school, in my little podunk town four hours away, we'd get an AJC in the afternoon and spend the afternoon bumming free donuts from our friends at Dunkin Donuts and free ice cream from our friends at Baskin-Robbins (unless the hot chicks were working).
    How long has it been since they've been without a DC correspondent?

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I would agree with that. Less than 10 years ago, this was one of the best sports sections in the country and arguably had the best college coverage of any paper in the country.

8. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

What you said. God, was this a good paper at one time. Now I hardly recognize it.

9. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

Yes. As many have already confirmed, the AJC's deadlines are tight, tighter and tightest. And they're only getting more restrictive about it. Going quoteless in print and doing a write-thru with quotes for online is pretty common for late games when they do want full coverage. They basically don't hold for anything anymore, as far as I can tell, but they do fight to get something in print as long as the game's over by their deadline.

And yes, the paper has taken a major tumble in recent years. Still plenty of really good people working there, just not nearly as many as there used to be.

Draft saved Draft deleted