1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Early Season Beat Writer Change at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by EagleMorph, May 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Man, I remember my second beer.

2. JerryMicco

JerryMicco Member

Colin doesn't need me or anyone to defend his decision to do what he did. But to set the record straight, no one from the Pirates ever contacted me asking that Colin not cover the team.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

What do you mean by
    ?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Today or in general?

5. jr/shotglass

It's got to be today. I can't remember many details about last week.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

The best we have, right there.

7. jr/shotglass

Hey, if I could write like that, I'd be, like, a writer.

8. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I can remember my first beer ... a Carta Blanca at a beach camp in Mexico when I was 15. I remember the second, too, same place, same night.
    It's the other 862,562,238,523,462,356 I can't remember.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

A couple of beers would be mighty good about now.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

This may be a more appropriate issue for another thread, but earlier someone mentioned something about the writer in question's being "scooped." I don't follow the Pirates all that closely, but from a distance it doesn't seem as if not being first on a AAA call-up/injury replacement is (or would have been) all that earth-shattering. In today's media world, it seems to me that the whole idea of scoops is almost anachronistic; nobody really gets scooped anymore because, honestly, is it really a scoop if one website has a story hours or minutes before another? Nowadays it seems that a sports reporter brings value to his readers NOT by pursuing scoops, but rather by adding perspective/expertise/narrative that's not available elsewhere. In my brief career as a sportswriter, I was pretty good at that but I was terrible about the whole news-chasing thing. I doubt I would have stayed in this biz much longer anyway, but I might have enjoyed the gig a bit more had I not felt like I had to play out of position.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Valid point, Doctor.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It's probably a bit frustrating when your competing with the in-house organ, but that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.